1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Finally got round to installing CS4 on the new PC.Since I seem to have lost the dvd:( I downloaded it
    from the web.Having had to separately down load CS4,Adobe Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw I found myself rather confused at times.

All well and good as everything installed without a hitch,that is until I noticed Bridge was in French.
    I wouldn`t mind but with years of non use my French understanding leaves a lot to be desired shall we say!!

Anyway,through trial and error and help onlline from Adobe I`ve now got it back to English.

Just one query though;the Bridge interface is white lettering against black back ground,which is just the opposite of the way it was before W10.Can this be changed?Just a niggle really as it`s working as it should.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Edit | Preferences | Colour Scheme

upload_2020-7-29_21-18-59.png

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

upload_2020-7-29_21-19-37.png

4. swanseadave

Thanks Tony.Got that right now.

I`m having a problem installing ACR from the downloads folder since I cannot locate the relevant .exe file.

I`ve spent an hour or more looking for the right one and failed.I nearly threw the pc out of the window so I`ve abandoned it for now for my sanity!!.:eek:

5. swanseadave

I`ve been having trouble finding ACR 5.7 to download and install.The previous version,5.4 was in fact
    the installer not the program so I`m rather at a loss what to try next..

I`ve searched Adobe for the correct file to download for ACR5.7 but failed to find it.
    Would third party raw convertors such as Raw Therapee
    fit in with CS4?I`m running out of ideas.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

ACR 5.7 was issued in 2010. Where on earth are you downloading such old executables from? You need to be very careful if it isn’t a genuine adobe site with respect to viruses.

You can use Rawtherapee if you like, the learning curve seemed pretty steep last time I looked at it. You might find it best to bite the bullet and get the Adobe Photography Plan and a current version of Photoshop if indeed you need it. I’d think that what was cutting edge Photoshop technology more than 10 years ago would be widely available now, perhaps in Elements - not that I have used either. I found Elements 7 too difficult and Photoshop is beyond me!

7. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

WHY? are you installing such OLD out of date software on a new! PC ?, it will not be possible to update it and it won't read new camera raw files or some others will it

8. swanseadave

I`m trying to install ACR 5.7 because it is the most recent version that can be used in Adobe CS4 which I have installed.
    I wouldn`t consider downloading from anyone except Adobe which has so many web pages making it extremely tricky to find what I need.
    I`ve spent hours trawling through Adobe in search of this piece of software and cannot find it even though I know that it and even older versions are available.

Stephen,my camera Sony Alpha 350`s raw files will not work with anything more recent than CS4,hence my need to obtain ACR5.7
    or another raw convertor that will work with its ARW raw files in Photoshop CS4
    I`m not in any position at my age,to buy a newer dslr nor would I want to,being heavily invested in Minolta And Sony lenses.

The Alpha 350 does everything I need.

"" I found Elements 7 too difficult and Photoshop is beyond me!""

Pete, Photoshop is a huge learning curve but I`ve been using it for several years now getting more proficient with the passage of time.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  9. PeteRob

I've not come across any reports of raw processing software failing to support old cameras. It is usually the other way around, when new cameras come on the market it may be a while before software updates to accommodate them.

I had another look for ACR 5.7 but didn't find it - the links for CS4 took me to Adobe sign in and, as I don't have a licence for it, I didn't go further. I thought maybe ACR 5.7 would be together with CS4.

10. Stephen Rundle

100% I agree totally never heard of that either

He could send anyone a raw from his camera to see :)

11. Stephen Rundle

12. Stephen Rundle

13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A Google search finds this page. No use?

14. PeteRob

That depends on what "camera matching profile" means. It might just mean that you get the standard Adobe profiles and no emulations of the camera profiles.

Looks like Adobe is going to have to do some work with Canon - not supporting dual pixel raw files isn't going to go down well with the new mirrorless. I don't know if there is a camera option to shoot without it but it seems a bit much to ask 5Div owners to convert to TIFF with DPP in order to get files into LR.

15. swanseadave

Thank you very much for finding that Steve,It looks to be just what I need.

I`ve not time now for my wife wants to use the PC.I`ll check it out later on.:)

16. swanseadave

I`m afraid that`s not it.It`s the ACR updater which presupposes that ACR is already installed.
    For me that is not the case.
    For reasons unknown Adobe Camera Raw did not install when Photoshop CS4 was installed on the new PC, hence the frustration of
    being unable to find it now to install.

Sorry for shouting ;my frustration is palpable.Dave

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

No sweat. The adobe site does seem to be written to be unnavigable!

18. PeteRob

It has long been so. It used to take forever to find LR 6 - the standalone version.

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Couldn't possibly be to make you use the cloud version. Could it? :eek:

Fortunately, I use PSE-11 and managed to download the last version of ACR that works with that, relying on ADC for formats that don't work with that version. Mind you, when that starts to fail with W10, I may go non-Adobe for a replacement.

20. swanseadave

"No sweat. The adobe site does seem to be written to be unnavigable!"

Steve,I agree about Adobe though I`ve been using cs4 for about 8 years or so and have
    learned enough to get by re. an editing workflow.
    Over the last couple of days I`ve downloaded the Sony raw converter,now known as
    Imaging Edge.It was called something else,I forget what.
    As a raw converter it`s very simplistic or maybe basic would be more accurate but
    it does what I need.After conversion into Tiffs they will then open in CS4 so It`s a work around of sorts
    and it`ll do for now.ACR on the other hand is capable of considerably more and I do miss it very much.

I will persevere trying to install ACR 5.7 though since I`m just completely comfortable with it.It`s all the more frustrating
    since it`s installed on the old C drive together with Win 8.1 but it cannot be transfered to the new pc with Win 10.
    Unless of course that I`m missing something!