1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Critiques Welcomed

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Burgy, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Don't recall having shown these here, I hope you enjoy. As usual critiques
    welcome. </p>

Sunrise (Canon EOS 1VHS 28-70 F2.8 L Fuji Sensia 100)</p>

[​IMG]
    </p>

Yellow (Canon EOS 1VHS 28-70 F2.8 L Fuji Sensia 100)</p>

[​IMG]
    </p>

Ropes (Canon EOS 1VHS 100-400 F4.5 USM IS L Fuji Sensia 100)</p>

[​IMG]
    </p>

it's not what you've got, its who you do it to http://www.Press-Photos.com

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Morning Burgy,

The middle shot looks vaguely familiar or, perhaps, wish it was a place I was
    familar with/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif.

The first pic has great balance with the sun and the boat but the sun is just
    far too bright, IME, and bringing it down some I don't think would make the rest of the big too dark.

The second shot is really good as well - nice saturated colours, great lines --
    unlike Will -- but their is one little item on the left side of the picture about 1/2 way up and it looks like a part of another building or something.

Third pictures is perfect. Great lines, great contrast between the lines and
    the water. Well done.

/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Jack

Life is a Photo-Op

3. DaveCarr

DaveCarr Well-Known Member

Hi Burgy

Makes a change to see some 'for you' pictures up here - don't recall you posting non-work stuff before - you should! - it's good!

Very much like the colours, angles and textures in pic #2, lovely saturated blue sky, and you've managed to get detail in areas where I would've expected shadows... the lines are clean and bold, I like it..

Pic #3 IMHO is simple but very well executed... lovely contrast of the blue water against the ropes, can see all the detail in the rope (again, you could've lost that - they could've burnt out), seems sharp as a tack, the diagonal makes the composition more interesting - not a show-stopper, but great colours, sharpness and contrast..

Pic #1 IMO is the weakest of the three, I think the sun is TOO bright, it's a little bit too much.. It makes a change to have a continuous colour through the image though, and I really like the little boat, but think it would be better if it wasn't SO far off to the right hand side... if it was closer, I think it would work better. Nit-pickers (and camera club judges ;-) ) would pick up on the horizon not quite being straight.. it doesn't bother me, but will get someone tilting their head!

Nice to see some slides Paul, keep 'em coming!

Dave (FRIPN)

4. Seven

Seven ..or eight

mmm nice film that sensia

Seen the bottom two so won't repeat myself.
    Great colour in the top, burnt highlights in the water that I'm sure you're aware of, shame that boat wasn't just a little more into the frame. Like it but then I always do like a straightforward simple shot, I tried the crop and would even go as far as taking the sun out!

Tanya(CRIPN)/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif
    CastVision

5. Bilko

Bilko Well-Known Member

For what's worth here is my opinions of your shots.

#1 - Love the idea, not so keen on the final composition. Boat is just too small and too far off to the right and get's lost a bit in shade. Always, difficult to comment on the composition of a shot like this, sometimes you can't influence the composition that much and it just comes down to luck. /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

#2 - Like the this shot, the geometry of the lines the contrast and saturation of the colours. Yes small segment of roof tile on left is a little distracting (once somebody points it out!). I don't know what constraints you had with objects off frame, but I would have prefered a little more space above the light and lost the shadow on the yellow cloth at the bottom. Looks as if it was shot an around midday, would be interesting to see what would have happened to colours, light and shadow later in the afternoon. Though g'tee you'd return to find the yellow sun-shade away and lost that great contrast in colour.

#3 - Again I like this image, but for my personal taste I would have cropped the bottom have of the picture out. Draws more attention to the dapple effect at the top of the frame and you could loose the out of focus front of the lower rope.

Ont the whole I would be well chuffed if I'd taken any of these. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Mark

6. Aliera

Aliera Well-Known Member

My very very humble opinion.........
    #1 - I actually love sky and sea merging together, and the little boat to one side - makes me think of the perfect end to a lovely day, and the sense of losing yourself in that calmness...
    #2 and #3 - superb colours and composition - and I bet that you took those in Greece?? /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

One Nikon only leads to another...

7. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Cheers Peeps

Yes they ware all shot in Faliraki, Rhodes

[​IMG]

8. Aliera

Aliera Well-Known Member

Many years ago I travelled from Athens to Cyprus on a ship - we stopped in Rhodes for a few hours, I have fond memories of walking down the little streets and the amazing colour of the sky......... /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

One Nikon only leads to another...

9. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I find 1 to be the most asthetically pleasing. 2 I think I've seen before and is a nice use of colour but doesn't do a lot for me personally, similar feelings about 3. All good stuff but I'll stick with 1 as my favourite despite the technical imperfections with it pointed out by others.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

10. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Vibrant, like the first one especially

Graham NRIPN

11. aec

aec Well-Known Member

'2' is my fav - great colours and saturation - almost tempts me to spark up the old film camera again....

I took a few semi-abstracts in Greece last year - I'll dig 'em out and post sometime.

What's the black blob above the door, just in the shade ?? Thought it was only us digital wallas that suffered these kind of things.

Andrew

12. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

Should have cleaned up the slide before I scanned it D'Oh. I ver rarely shoot film, and I must confess I have more of a problem with dust (etc.) scanning films than I do from dig, which is surpising seeing as I seldom use body caps etc, and fairly regularly end up leaving camera bodies lying on the back seat of the car without caps or lenses on. However I do clean the sensors a couple of times a year (whether they need it or not!)

13. DaveCarr

Just out of interest Burgy...

what do you recommend for cleaning the sensor?

Dave (FRIPN)

14. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

15. DaveCarr

Brilliant...

Cheers for that Burgy... hadn't been to the pressfoto's site for a while, so hadn't spotted it..

I can't recall seeing such a comprehensive 'step-by-step' walkthrough on the web (and with added humour!) - just what I was after...

Ta!

Dave (FRIPN)

16. robertj

robertj Well-Known Member

Looks like you are an artist. I like the most 2nd and the 3rd. Intriguing. The 3rd one is the best I think.

I had similar idea as you in shot 2...

[​IMG]

Robert
    Jurjevic

amateur
    photographer
    beginner