1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Credit at last

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Can the Nobel committee retrospectively correct what is a gross error on the part of their predecessors?

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Like giving Obama a peace prize?

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Something like that but in this case adding a recipient who should have been a winner originally. Surely the status of the person involved doesn’t affect the value of their contribution?

Zou likes this.
  5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Discovering a Pulsar may well be an outstanding scientific achievement. But what actual benefit is it?

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

That's easy. It gave Nissan a name for one of their models. o_O ;)

Zou and dangie like this.
  7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

This is something I've pondered myself, and in particular, why have governments put so much money into very expensive telescopes and the facilities to make use of them. My guess is that they're used as training grounds for top level physicists and engineers - and perhaps there's hope that there will be a trickle down effect to more humble things.

dangie likes this.
  8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Neil deGrasse Tyson has something to say about this in his book 'Accessory to War', subtitled 'The unspoken alliance between astrophysics and the military'. In any event, Homo Sapiens is incurably curious, particularly when it comes to life, the universe, and everything.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A bloke I worked with a long time ago was a very keen amateur astronomer. He and another colleague were chatting about this in our very small office one day, so not hearing was not an option.

The astronomer justified big telescope building as "a way of giving lots of employment to builders, metal bashers, engineers, designers and otherwise useless astronomy nuts". ;)

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well I thought your bank manager had extended your overdraft, but I see not.

Yes I believe the Nobel Committee does belatedly correct itself, but not if you happen to die in the meantime as Rosalind Franklin (of DNA) did. That seems a real failing on their part. What does dying have to do with what they did in life?

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

SatNav in space apparently....the frequency and direction of the pulses can pinpoint a location within a few kilometres.

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Why bother to find out anything beyond how to grub up turnips?

AndyTake2 and SqueamishOssifrage like this.
  13. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I met Jocelyn Bell-Burnell on a visit to Cambridge in the 1980's and the issue, quite rightly, sat heavy with her and if for no other reason that women were badly treated at University in her formative years.

As for what use are Pulsars - Well they can be very useful for navigation with deep space probes and time keeping. The periods of pulsars make them very useful tools for astronomers. Observations of a pulsar in a binary neutron star system were used to indirectly confirm the existence of gravitational radiation. The first extrasolar planets were discovered around a pulsar, PSR B1257+12. In 1983, certain types of pulsars were detected that, at that time, exceeded the accuracy of atomic clocks in keeping time

beatnik69 likes this.
  14. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

She's an incredible woman. She won another prize in 2018 and donated the £2.3 million prize money "to fund women, under-represented ethnic minority and refugee students to become physics researchers" She has a string of awards and honours. Jocelyn Bell Burnell - Wikipedia