1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Cranfield Beach

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by beatnik69, Jan 4, 2020.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

sappymike12 likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I like that. I might dodge out the dark band running diagonally across the rocks in the middle ground. It looks a bit as if you put a nd grad at an angle from the top right corner.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Can't see a line, but yes looks like a not very ND grad, picking up a lot of magenta, which is absent from the SW corner.

Nice scene though.

4. beatnik69

I think the dark line Pete talks about is caused by the bank of cloud. The sun was just coming through the cloud to the left, out of shot. The magenta is from Cokin filters, which I intend to replace sometime soon. I did reduce the magenta saturation but couldn't take it much further without introducing artefacts.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Whilst I like the idea of the lighthouse and pool balancing each other I think there's just too much dark rock foreground to hold it together - my eyes get pulled into the abyss rather than resting on one of those features.

6. RovingMike

I've always warned against Cokin's ND which isn't. But what artefacts are you seeing? I didn't notice any when I knocked it out of the low res version.

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I just looked on a calibrated monitor - I see what you mean about the colour cast - looks fine on an iPad 2!

8. beatnik69

It's not so much artefacts as the selected area going grey if the saturation is reduced too far. I'm hoping to get a set of NiSi filters which are getting good reviews.

9. RovingMike

Wasn't thinking of desat, just colour correction to remove some mag. Got to keep the glow top left.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I'd go landscape, or at least square, and lose most of the foreground.That's just my preference, I am not an expert.

NickM likes this.
  11. beatnik69

12. RovingMike

Yes better. But Learning is not wrong about possibility of square to reduce the amount of muddy bottom, although the pool is nice.

I asked the machine what it thought original colours were and it saw a lot of green. Not sure that helps, it is still fairly yukky.

[​IMG]

13. beatnik69

It was the rock pool that caught my eye in the first place. The colour of the rocks in my second edit is pretty close to the actual colour as I remember them. They were quite a pale colour.