1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I hope that we are not putting anyone off the covid jab. The needle used is very thin, and of course is not blunt. The quantity of vaccine is small. I came close to saying "Is that it?" The least painful injection ever.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If I hadn't seen it I might have thought they didn't do it, the nurse had excellent technique.

Learning likes this.
  3. Learning

If the covid jab hurt then would more people have confidence in it? As my mother always said as she applied the TCP (or something like that) " You can feel it doing you good". Clearly she wasn't impressed by the painless Savlon.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I had much mirth o_O with folk telling me to be grateful for the days of after effects as it either a) proved it was working, or b) would be far preferable to actually having covid.

5. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

They went in through my wrist - my groin remained mercifully unclamped. The second dose of sedative was A mazing. As the chill (and relaxation) spread up my arm and beyond I all of a sudden got a little appreciation of Lou Reed's "Perfect Day". Remember when the Beeb did a thing with various celebs inc. the soprano Leslie Garret each singing one line of that song none of them giving any indication that they knew it was addressed to heroin?

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Fair raging earlier to read that up here a number of 2nd vaccination appointments had been sent out "early" and ScotGov urged those who received these appointments which were under 8 weeks from the first should not attend. One of the reasons cited was "The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) recommends an eight-week interval between first and second vaccine doses." This despite the vaccines being designed for, tested with, and licenced to be dispensed at 4 weeks apart. Idiotic.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Learning

Later stats suggest that AZ works better with 8 or even 12 weeks between jabs. Pfizer is OK at 4 weeks, but still OK at 12 weeks.

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

No, but you've put me off ever having a stent...

S

9. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Without having a stent fitted in December 2019, I doubt if I'd still be here.
    I was awake all the time - the procedure was painless, and used my left wrist as the area of entry, and the stent was fitted and checked out in the cath lab at the John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Screenshot_20210623-122146_Facebook.jpg

11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I was kidding!

S

12. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

My wife and I received letters from the local DHB today, asking us to book appointments for covid vaccination. Both jabs are booked at the same time, to be done 3 weeks apart. First shot on August 14th, second September 4th.

spinno, WillieJ, AGW and 1 other person like this.
  13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The spirit of Bastille Day is still alive and well in France, as is the spirit of the Reign of Terror, with 70% of French nurses refusing to be vaccinated on the grounds of Liberté, égalité (but not, one assumes) fraternité. :confused:

Listening to the BBC World Service is always informative but too often depressing... :(

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Second AZ done today. Hopefully won't #@$¥ me up like it did first time around.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Good luck. The first one put me off going back for more.

...and not just the fortnight feeling ill but the environmental cost must be enormous.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks. :)

18. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

We had trouble with the first AZ - roughly along the lines of a moderately nasty hangover (without the fun :() - but the second had little to no side effects. Hopefully, you'll have a similarly easy(-ish) time of it.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's what everyone says, so hoping it's the case. My wife and I both had a long list of after effects (mostly different) from the first. There was some suggestion that this was due to my previous covid infection, but my wife also had several days of effects, with one issue lasting a few weeks. She's not had covid that we know of, and as we have both been doing regular testing for ONS which includes antibody tests which always came back negative for her (until vaccinated) it's likely she really hasn't had it.

It's a mystery.

20. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I hadn't realised that you'd both had so much trouble. That's grim. :(

Good luck! Here's hoping that the second time around will be much less unpleasant.

Zou likes this.