1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Covid Vaccine

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Dec 8, 2020.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yesterday I had a Shingles vaccination. While I was there the nurse asked if I’d had a pneumonia jab. No I hadn’t. So I had that as well. Two jabs, one in each arm. This morning I have two slightly tender upper arms. The same tenderness as when I had my Coronavirus injections.

When the Coronavirus injections began, the media made great shouts that one of the side effects of the jab was sore arms. From my experience I’d say sore arms is simply the result of the injection and not the vaccine.

Of course not being medically trained I could be wrong.

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Isn't it sore because your body begins to fight what has just been put into it? I find it hard to believe that that sized needle would cause soreness. I have had various vaccines for travel etc. Some have caused soreness/ache and others not at all, so i assumed it changes with what is in the needle.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Very definitely. I first got to know about vaccinations and similar, when I was jabbed by the RAF medics during my National Service. From a very distant memory, I think the worst was TABT - typhoid types A & B; perhaps tetanus was also included, but I recall moans from airmen as we tried to get off to sleep that evening. It was well known that that injection was the worst that we would have - going out to Europe. (Others who were going to the Far East had other problems...)

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

From my experiences giving blood (nothing in the needle) I can assure you it also varies with the person injecting the needle.
    One nurse took 5 goes, even without that, some where completely painless & others made me ache fo days.

5. dream_police

I used to donate blood and platelets. Luckily I have never had a problem with drawing blood. The needles used by the donor service are like knitting needles compared to those for the vaccinations though.

6. dream_police

Yes, the typhoid one caused me quite an aching arm IIRC.
    The worse injection I had was for Hep B(?), after I had been bitten by a Hep B/HIV infected person. I hadn't completed my set of 3 jabs so I had an emergency one in my bum. It was huge and you could feel the liquid entering my body. Not a pleasant experience.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The worst injection I had (apart from the allergic reaction ones) was an iron one. Ye Gods that hurt. I was very glad to get a tranfusion instead later and the iron in solution. My only reaction to that was going pink again afterwards. :)

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Glad to know that your buns are no longer loaves..

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yep that was how the iron jab felt. Pain right down my leg. I yelled!

10. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

True enough, but still just little toys compared to a few I have at work. I've got as foot long needle somewhere which goes quite well with our 1500ml syringe (only used for air sampling - despite the comments made to new employees). I'm sure my wife has some knitting needles that are smaller.

I think blood donation needles are around 18 gauge, & vaccinations typically use 22 or 23 gauge (23 gauge is 0.63mm diameter & lower numbers are wider) We go smaller than that at work as well, having one system that injects as little as 0.00005ml directly inside a glass tube 0.53mm internal diameter - this requires a 26 gauge needle with the plunger going the full length of the needle. These are very fiddly to repair if someone bends the needle! (I admit I used to be able to repair them but gave up about 10 years ago - I now simply order a new syringe & save an few hours of cursing).

11. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

At least they were unlikely to miss.:rolleyes:

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Pah! Diĺlettantes, the lot of you! :p I was caught up in the polio epidemic in the fifties, and until you have had a lumbar puncture to drain fluid off the spinal cord from between the vertebrae , you don't know what a needle is! :eek::D

13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Try a feeding tube direct into the stomach through the body wall.

"This may hurt a little, we'll have to give you some strong locals."

"I thought you were going to give..."

"We did."

S

ps the scar is about a cm. across.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Having a drain inserted into my liver under (alledged) local anaesthetic was fun.

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

As a child I had a recurring boil on my neck. This was lanced and squeezed. Fortunately no warning; it was soon over. Then the injections of penicillin, intra muscular in the upper thigh or buttock, once a day for a week. That was very painful. The last day was special; The rest of the phial was injected with a very large syringe and needle. Strangely my main concern was not the pain but the presence of a young female medical student who was observing our GP. Daft wasn't it? I guess that I was about 12 at the time.

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Being awake and having a stent put in, lying on a gym balance beam, some years later a hernia repaired under local anaesthesia. Two months later a cystoscopy, followed by a transection of the prostate.
    Things settled down then until I had the ICD enclosed in a flap of skin(fat!) not forgetting of course the radioactive scan of my heart done where they race it one week, and at rest the following week.
    Cardboard box...you were lucky;)

Zou likes this.
  17. Learning

Come on now. Having a stent put in is fascinating. The only uncomfortable bit is the sting of the local. You get to watch the whole procedure. on 4 large screens.

18. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No, the uncomfortable thing was having lie still after the procedure with a clamp around the groin...(I can't spell tourniquet)

19. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I think my worst jab in the RAF was the yellow fever (or one of the other tropical diseases) it was refrigerated enough to feel like a bad bee or wasp sting

20. Learning

Ah yes. That was uncomfortable for some time. The local was more intense but only for a few seconds. Apparently the reason that a local stings is not because of the active ingredient but the acidic preservative.