1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Coupall Falls - Glencoe

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by SFTPhotography, Mar 1, 2015.

1. SFTPhotography

SFTPhotography Well-Known Member

[​IMG]_DSC3117 by SFTPhotography, on Flickr

I've shot here many times, but not with such heavy flowing in the falls. I couldn't get here earlier as was on a family day out to celebrate turning 30. However, no celebration is complete without a picture.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not doing much for me I'm afraid. Poor light and tripod seemingly aligned with hundreds of others, so nothing new.

3. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Zou san has it spot on although if in the area it is a shot every landscaper must have in their portfolio. Hard to get something original from there, even impossible but still worth shooting.

4. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

yeah yeah rub it in! I took a trip up here and wandered about for an 2 hours or so in my wellies without knowing this place was here, It was great light that day would love to have a shot from these falls!

I have to echo the above, not that I could do any better but theres just too many outstanding shots taken from here.

Happy Birthday!

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Have to agree that it's a bit flat lighting wise. There's plenty of texture though and I can't help feeling this would go a mono conversion...

Something like this...

[​IMG]
    http://pix.ie/elsid/3735999[/IMG]

6. corncrake

corncrake Well-Known Member

Think outside the box ...''Camera'' Get into the water and take the shot from its level ...then you will have the......Impact ...that the shot needs.

7. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Yeah but that's also been done to death. Although I do agree it's a better shot.
    Here's one I made earlier. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roksoff/15428187861/

8. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

I always feel it's a little unfair to say "It's been done before" and use that to critique the photo. Surely the point is to comment on the one posted, not all the others?

IMHO, it's a lovely shot, though the vegetation seems a tad too dark.

Regards, Mike

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The OP has shown through other posting that he's a skilled photographer, and he says he's been here many times before. In that context, I think my comment was fair. Given the light and composition it doesn't come across as a 'considered' shot, more a quick snap. However, it has been posted for appraisal, so that suggests it wasn't intended to be a snap in the derogatory sense.

10. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

It's a good shot. It's a wonderful location and the image quality is clearly top notch. However, of course it has been done before many times and that means this image will naturally be compared against the best images that the viewer has seen of this scene. That's no reason not to photograph it again and again. Personally I would nitpick on the composition and say that it would be better shifted to the left. The conditions are good but the light rather ordinary, the foreground shadows I think need some lifting. I reckon Helander and his buddies know a thing or two about this and similar locations and their best advice would be to be there at silly o'clock am.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I hope Helander doesn't mind me posting a link to one of his, but this is a perfect example of taking a few minutes to find a different viewpoint: https://flic.kr/p/dT74zs

12. Ffolrord

It's different but I don't think that makes it automatically better. The original is the classic view and still the most pleasing imo.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well if one were to do the 'original' would it be asking too much to get the framing to not chop off the bottom of the highlights in the water from the falls? El_Sid's crop tidies up the right hand side which was iffy on the edge but I'm still not overly keen on the tree popping out for a cuppa left of frame. ;)

There's also a peek of blue sky which seems at odds with the flat lighting. Overall, it just needs so many wee things sorted, it'd be easiest to reshoot I reckon.

14. Ffolrord

Agreed with all those points and I'd want a little more space above the peak and some other tweaks but I mean from that viewpoint - that's where I'd plant my tripod even though most have. Even though they are regarded as cliché the classic view is just that for good reason.