1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cosmic 35

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by velocette, May 19, 2020.

1. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

Tony Kemplen's article on the Cosmic 35 in this weeks AP brought back a few memories. I bought one from a stall in Club Row, an offshoot of London's Brick Lane for £5 in the 1970's. It did indeed suffer from light ingress which in my case was less of a worry as it was used for cave and mine photography, very successfully. I used in conjunction with a plug in flash cube adaptor which took four AG1 bulbs needing to be manually rotated after each flash.
    It's great feature for use in sub optimal conditions was that just 3 screws held the lens on and after a shoot I could detach it and tap it on a table to remove the grit. It's still around somewhere with all the other forgotten gems of my photographic past.

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember them.

I'm surprised the Lomo mob aren't knocking them out at £100 a time...

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I was in the 6th form, the art department bought half a dozen of these with the Cyrillic label "Cmena 8". Was I glad I had my own camera! At least I could get things in focus when I wanted to. ;)

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I knew a couple of people who had them, from what I recall the light leak problem was helped by keeping the camera in the case all the time, performing loading and unloading in very subdued light, only taking the case off in said light and then refitting it before exposing to any brightness.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I rather like the Cyrillic script on the old Russian cameras!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Probably the best German camera made in the Soviet Union...

Kiev camera in ERC GH2 P1320261.JPG

Kiev camera case GH2 P1320262.JPG

Enjoy! :D

neilt3 likes this.