1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coronet Captain box camera

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by nf3996, Mar 10, 2008.

1. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

I have a very basic Coronet Captain box camera among my collection that I'd like to put some film through; it takes 120 film and produces 6 x 9 cm negatives. The camera has a fixed aperture lens and only one shutter speed (plus 'time'). Can anyone tell me what focal length and aperture the lens is, and what the shutter speed is. That way I'll have an idea of what speed film to try in it.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

2. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

You should be able to measure the focal length of the lens accurately enough but if the camera is 8 on 120 it's probably about 100mm. Now set the shutter to "T", open it and measure from the front the clear aperture. Divide that into the focal length and you have the aperture ratio.

Box type cameras were usually about 1/60 sec at f/11 to f/16.

As negative type films have loads of latitude I'd reccomend 100ASA film. As long as the light is reasonable (at least bright overcast) you should be OK.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Absolutely right.

4. tazio35

tazio35 Well-Known Member

I've found 400ASA suits my Holga better (assuming a similar exposure of 1/100 and f/8).