1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

They're just as bad. It's about time people got it into their heads that this virus only spreads one way. It's not wind-borne, it's not water-borne, it doesn't sprout legs and walk. Just stay at home unless it is really essential for you to go out. It's not fecking rocket science! I've seen first hand what this virus can do to a normally healthy adult. It's not to be taken lightly.

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

By wind-borne, do you mean aerosol transmission? covid-19 is transmissible by aerosol droplets through coughs and sneezes and can remain suspended in the air if particles are small enough. (not sure if the viral load is enough to infect a person this way) it was under debate last I checked.

My wife works on the infectious unit as an ITU nurse, so I’m well aware of the risks, and apart from getting in my car to drive I’ve had zero contact with anyone other than my wife for the last few days.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  3. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

In Canada we are supposed to social distance or stay six feet apart.
    This is supposed to stop the virus from spreading. I went for a drive around town
    today on my motorcycle. I made sure to stay six feet away from anyone.
    I had to go to the grocery store today I was not comfortable with that.

4. retrofit

Yes, supermarkets are the very place we’re trying to avoid.

Shopping here is now a complete joke, with mass gatherings outside the supermarkets, people are waiting to go in.

I’ve never seen so many people out exercising on the streets where I live...

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

My old boy doing his best Chris Packham impression....

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Thirty two years now.

7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The government here is slowly refining - and tightening - the terms of the lockdown. The message now is that cars should only be used for necessary grocery shopping, and medical appointments. Walks should be in one's neighbourhood. There are reports of people out driving without a good excuse being fined.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not sure if pasting this works, but it shows the psychological stages various countries were at 12 days ago. Think we've moved on, but moving 65m people is a slow thing. Some get it fast, and some remain in denial for far longer, depending on personality type and other factors. On of the problems for legislators is if you jump too far, too fast, especially in a low-regulation society, you risk massive disobedience and impossibility of enforcing. You have to go at speed the bulk of people can adjust to.

upload_2020-3-27_8-2-20.png

9. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Yes, Denial is the crucial phase here. The longer it continues, the worse the spread. In China, the option was swiftly taken away from them.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

It is just rambling nonsense with awesome and tremendous words thrown in. The guy is an idiot.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Have you seen
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
    I have just typed HS2 into there, selected Western Isle and got zero out of 26830 local population. I realise that there might be silent infections but it does look promising for you.
    Why High Speed 2 you might ask. Quite interesting. You have an impressively long main runway!

Catriona likes this.
  12. retrofit

It is really Alec Baldwin :D

dream_police likes this.
  13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you waste fuel then you will need to refuel sooner. You risk virus exchange when you visit the filling station.

14. dream_police

This one?

John Farrell likes this.
  15. retrofit

yes, I pay at the pumps and use hand sanitiser.

I have a 35 mile round trip to my mums, and I’m taking the wife into work, no option really... unfortunately my car only gets 20.7 mpg!

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm in town - HS1 - HS is for Hebrides.
    Yes, our runway can take pretty impressive military planes including massive USA ones. We used to have an RAF camp at the airport. I believe the runway is NATO compliant.
    As for infection rate?
    I don't think any tests have been done here, or on our behalf!

17. miked

miked Well-Known Member

If I hear another politicians using the phrase, "ramping up" once more, I will be tempted to go and put my head in the gas oven. (Not that we have a gas oven). It's even worse than "impacting". Yee gods, once we used restrained and moderate language. Nowadays hyperbole is the norm.

Catriona likes this.
  18. dream_police

At Costco on Monday, staff were there ensuring everyone wore gloves when refuelling the car. All of their pumps are "pay at pump"

retrofit likes this.
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I thought you were going to suggest a ramp up the ar5e for said users of said phraseo_O

miked and Catriona like this.
  20. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Some came true...