1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

I'm always on call & never paid for it unless I'm called, when I get an extra bonus added to my overtime.
    If called for an immediate job, my working time starts from the time I get the phone call & includes the time needed for me to get dressed & get into work and continues till I get home again unless normal working intervenes,

Some of the maintenance folk have rotas for call outs, where the person on call has to be sober & at the end of the phone during there assigned period (they do get standby pay for this). As I don't fall in this category I am entitled to turn down a request to come in. In the last 30 years I think there have been a couple of times when I've told them I couldn't come in for a few hours (such as my wife being out when we had young kids) They then have the option of calling one of the other two who might be able to fix the problem or wait till I'm available (when my pay starts from when I leave for work).

I've never clarified if I'm entitled to be paid for things I've sorted out over the phone - I probably would be for a long call but it's seemed churlish to claim for a 2 minute call even if it was at ~3am. 'Brian, if you've never changed your password it'll be your name'

Our terms of work do cover a late return to work if overtime finishes within a certain time of starting my normal day. This has been a rare enough event that I've pretty much ignored it & just played it by ear - finishing at 6am I might be back mid morning or leave it till lunchtime after a longer job.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Lockdown activities - our granddaughter giving her dad a haircut.

haircut.jpg

miked, Scphoto, AndyTake2 and 4 others like this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Just wait til it's dad's turn to return the favour.

John Farrell likes this.
  4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Remind her that the 1918 flu epidemic started in the US and how many that killed...

S

5. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I know many things are not allowed at present, but one activity I hadn't realised was on the list was the use of indicators. I drove home from Cheshire yesterday after a few days away on my canal boat (good for self isolation but a bugger for getting services) and there was a distinct lack of indicator use.

Was it in one of Boris's daily briefings?

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Tempted to take a full length mirror down the old railway and test the theory that a lot of the extra people down there are gym-goers. Bet they stop to admire themselves :p

dream_police and nimbus like this.
  7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Hmm, I thought I saw malicious intent behind it all. Yes of course, the only person around here who thinks smiting people dead for any infraction is Big G himself. What a wonderful example he does set for us all. :confused:

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

It was considered essential in Russia for many years.
    I think the idea was that if everyone was pissed, they didn't give a toss about being oppressed, and when their glorious leader appeard they would say 'I really realllly love you, you're my besht mate you are.":)

Catriona likes this.
  9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I think I missed that one, along with the abolition of speed limits and the need to give way as marked at junctions.

10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

We'll need a shipwreck here soon.
    Ferry services severely curtailed.
    From 29th March, air services essential service only (hope that includes mail, newpapers and loo paper)

Looks like back to potatoes and fish diet soon.

Perhaps I should start a real isolation diary.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Perhaps an email to the BBC news to highlight how the outlying islands are being forgotten - there's nothing like naming and shaming to get the ball rolling.

Catriona and Learning like this.
  12. Catriona

Well most of us here find our exclusion from the stats a joke. I only have to talk to someone very near to hear about people having had contact with one infected man, before he travelled back to the mainland, in an infected state to declare himself sick elsewhere.
    I do not believe we have not had/have cases here. Maybe a lot of you think we are pretty isolated, but it's not true. There is daily frequent travel between here and mainland UK and further afield. Probably stopped now, but stable door springs to mind. Our main hospital has provision for 4 or five cases requiring special care. The rest will be airlifted to hospitals on the mainland, probably by the military.
    As for the Beeb? I don't want to be ridiculed publicly!

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

She doesn't even have that as an excuse

neilt3 likes this.
  14. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

WOW , you have potatoes ?!
    I had to get a tin of Smash out of my campervan last night for tea !

Catriona likes this.
  15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

So just your typical ignorant , narrow minded racist then ?

LesleySM likes this.
  16. Catriona

It won't last! Last year's maincrop is disgusting (from butcher's shop). Show them to water and they dissolve. I get mine from the supermarket - and I agree - that has not been easy. I have some under lock and key and will probably enjoy some tonight (getting tired of rice).

neilt3 likes this.
  17. miked

miked Well-Known Member

"Whisky Galore" for instance? At least such an event would lift islander's spirits, eh?

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  18. Catriona

I did have that in mind!! Ha!

19. Catriona

Might soon be asking the Americans, um... Europeans, um... Scandinavians - yes, for air drops of supplies!

20. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I suspect it was long out-of-date - rather like the advert:

Gezza, spinno and Catriona like this.