1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Or for ones with a really bad gag reflex like me!

Catriona likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Me too. I thought it was throat and nose as per the PCR test. Doing a test is quite an exercise in avoiding the throwing up bit. The one time I did a PCR the guy at the test centre increased his social distancing most quickly.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've heard that if you can do throat swabs with your nasal only kit the results are more accurate. But only if you don't accidentally swallow the swab...

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Well-Known Member

Our work has run out of 7 test packs so I had to pick up three single tests to cover the weekend, as my youngest tested positive during the week. They're nasal only as well, so perhaps that means I don't matter any more...

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

How's it going? Hope it has stayed mild.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Fine here thanks. Symptoms seem to have peaked on Monday night, approximately 48 hours after infection. Muscles still feel a bit tight and ache so making the most of the forced opportunity to rest.

Petrochemist, Zou and Catriona like this.
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think the Omicron variant is being a lot less severe on many people, thankfully. One weird thing though is that in the US, hospital admissions are high - no-one seems to know why, and even accounting for variations in recording of the virus, they seem to be having a tough time.

As an aside, but still on viruses, did anyone see about the research into MS (which our own @Ascu75 AKA Don Wood has) which is pointing towards a virus?
    It has been speculated on for a while now, but some research in the US military has a very plausible link between MS and the Epstein-Barr Virus. Although just the first step in the chain, the work that has been done on antivirals must surely give some hope to those suffering from such a horrible condition

https://scitechdaily.com/compelling...le-sclerosis-is-caused-by-epstein-barr-virus/

steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Yes, I did see this article; I've known personally at least 3 people with MS.

9. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Cyclist Mark Cavendish had Epstein Barr virus about 4 years ago and had a barren spell without any wins in 3 years. Fortunately, he seems to have recovered well and had a number of wins last season.

PS, it looks as if Prince Andrew has gone down with a different Epstein virus :D.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

2 people I worked with on firearms both developed MS. In a previous role I also worked with someone with it. I also personally know 2 more people with it.

I have done a few charity events for MS, where we, as a team, carried a MS sufferer up Snowdon whilst they were in their wheel chairs.

AndyTake2 and DaveM399 like this.
  11. Ascu75 AKA Don Wood

Ascu75 AKA Don Wood Well-Known Member

I’ve got it and unfortunately mine is the primary progressive variety . Been getting wore for thirty years now in wheelchair and have to be hoisted, my wife is a saint. I can’t do much anymore she has to do everything for me :( any new research is to late for me but I hope they find a cure soon. Don

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, 2 years of scaremongering and hype for a run of the mill cold is almost disappointing.

I haven't registered my test results to avoid feeding the hype.

13. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think my mum might disagree with you after her hospitalization with Covid.
    Both sides of the family have lost friends to the hype, and remember that this is what happened in the Spanish flu epidemic. A lot of people died, it calmed down...and we sure as hell don't want what came after that.

Petrochemist and Zou like this.
  14. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Just watching the "hype" in Australia - 40 deaths yesterday from covid. They make such a fuss of it, eh?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I hesitate to say it, but I have a feeling that New Zealand will end up going through what we have elsewhere in Europe and the UK - it is simply that your zero policy has delayed it.

dangie likes this.
  16. John Farrell

We abandoned "zero covid" some time ago. At the moment, the aim is to manage outbreaks without extreme restrictions. This is being done successfully, with the delta outbreak here. We know omicron is coming, however, and as far as possible we are preparing for it. We have stricter requirements for masks, and for the numbers allowed in indoor locations than Australia. Last week, I walked past a medical centre which was setting up consulting rooms in a portacom building, specifically for suspected covid patients.

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, natural selection happened there too, unfortunately.

How do they count the covid deaths over there? I question the "from covid". If I registered my positive test and died from anything in the 28 days after it would be included in the hyped covid stats.

Catriona likes this.
  18. John Farrell

Read the definition of a death from covid, from Australia.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/1205.0.55.001

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Exactly.
    I went to a funeral last week. A friend of mine had sadly passed away.
    Nineteen years ago he received a heart transplant. Everything went extremely well until approx five years ago when his health began to deteriorate. Just before Christmas he was admitted to hospital with kidney failure. He was given 3-4 days to live, a week at most. Whilst he was in hospital he contracted Coronavirus. Sadly as expected he passed away. Even though his death was really nothing too do with Coronavirus, because he had contracted it, it has gone on record as a Coronavirus death.

20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I've long since concluded there is a big difference between "died of Covid" and "died with Covid"
    Read an article ages ago the writers father had COPD and dementia- went into a care home for respite care, tested negative for Covid, someone on the same floor in the home tested positive he tested negative, went to hospital tested negative on admission, died but still had Covid on the death certificate on the grounds "He was exposed to it"
    A lot of people responded with "So what? He died"
    And the writer explained because of the death certificate it said Covid the family were not allowed to touch him, the favourite suit he said he always wanted to be buried in wasn't allowed,