1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I want to be kept just as safe and healthy as anyone else, but I don’t know just how far we can go to prevent mutations reaching our shores. Do we totally seal the borders and wrap the country up in ‘cling film’? Do we confine everyone to barracks? I don’t know the answer and I’m sure no one else does either.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

How about we make sure everyone (especially in 'less developed' countries) has access to free vaccinations instead of enforcing IP rights on vaccines?

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The British AZ vaccine is available as you suggest..
    You might manage to delay the virus by a few weeks. In that time there would be time to discover if it is as dangerous as it seems.
    Current vaccines could be modified and be in production within a month. These could be offered to the public with a huge warning that recipients are taking part in safety testing and even if safe may not even work.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I seem to recall that various people, in the days of our glorious führerin Frau Thatcher, warned that the NHS was being deliberately reduced to a non-functional disaster. One of the phrases used was "queues of ambulances at the hospital gates"... :(

AndyTake2 likes this.
  5. Learning

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52544307
    So ban on flights from some countries from midday today.

peterba likes this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

No - definitely not. That stuff is among the worst offenders in the panoply of single-use plastics. Grease-proof paper, maybe?

7. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

One thing I have learnt with this latest development is that Swaziland is now called Eswatini.

peterba likes this.
  8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Apparently the 5% reduction in co2 seen during the big lockdown would have to continue for 50 years to limit climate change to current goals. Instead of reducing emissions by doing less the plan is to create more overheads and keep doing what we were doing wrong.

peterba likes this.
  9. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

A.k.a. "Herr Thatchler" in Private Eye's cartoon strip series Battle for Britain series, of that era. :)

Learning likes this.
  10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Although I agree with you, another problem is actually getting the people to accept a vaccination. Reports, if true, seem to indicate the take up is quite low.

11. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think one of the biggest hurdles is that manufacturing the vaccines in different countries would not only place the IP rights in the hands of the country involved, but also the ability to manufacture by themselves just about anything else.

At the start of all this I thought that the individual companies such as AZ be given free access to countries around the world to build their own sites, funded by the WHO and still retain all their IP rights, thereby bypassing the hurdle. Once the pandemic is effectively dealt with, then the companies could be either charged rent or allowed to own the sites outright, depending on their pricing of the vaccine.

We know AZ has now stopped the cost-price verison and started charging a bit (not as much as the others) but companies like this need access to the countries in order to manufacture and keep the peace of mind of their IP.

12. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Manufacturing in other countries would be permitted under licence and would not hand over IPR.

13. Learning

Now that a case of omicron variant has been discovered in Belgium, should we close the channel tunnel and EU ferry and air services?
    The known Belgium case is in a traveller from Egypt via Turkey. Should Egypt and Turkey be on the red list. There are cases in Hong Kong and Israel; should they also be o n the red list?
    One mustn't overreact, yet one must not seem to discriminate against Africa.

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Why not just quarantine all travellers coming into the country?

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Because business is of more consequence to the government than (checks notes) "bodies piled up in the street."

16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ah well that will improve our stats. PCR testing cabinet broken so tests now have to be done on the mainland. What next?

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

No transit to mainland due to inclement weather?

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ha! We are used to that! My neighbour agrees with me that we are being forced to be evacuated to the mainland somewhere. Like St Kilda (where she was born) only now the rest of the Outer Hebrides.

Zou likes this.
  19. Learning

A predictable response.

20. Learning

I'd be more bothered by that very long off mainland runway and what it could be used for.
    Just a glib comment. Johnson wouldn't dare. He is a strong unionist.

Catriona likes this.