1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Even so, this virus is going endemic. At least effective treatments are becoming available. Certainly keep your head down for now but sooner or later you are going to have to face it. For all you know you might actually be one of the rare people totally naturally immune. Even after 3 jabs I don't know where I stand.

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

The jab Derek refuses is the flu one

Derek W, peterba and Catriona like this.
  3. Learning

Thanks Willie. I need to keep up at the back don't I.

WillieJ likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've not had any reaction from flu jabs for years. Still waiting for this year's though, and frustrated that it's nearly December and I've not had it yet.

5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

FTFY (using information gleaned from another thread, a few moments ago) ;)

Learning likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Is it difficult to get one? I used to get mine on request in the Tesco pharmacy, it was cheaper than Boots, but now I’m state pension age I think it’s free no matter where it is dispensed. I just asked the nurse at the booster jab how long I need to wait before getting the flu jab and she said she’d look in the fridge, found they had some and gave it to me. It was a pharmacy doing the jabs.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I have been instructed to await appointment letter...

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I went into a local pharmacy a few weeks ago, booked an appointment and as I am over 50 it is free. Quite a few, including Boots do them. Never waited for an invite from the GP.

9. Learning

I got my flue jab when the local Keyworth practice had their Covid party. It was not as bad as usual but there were too many people around indoors. They seem to have been lucky and have got away with it.

10. Learning

At last we are doing better than Germany.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Me being young (ahem) but vulnerable I have been told this year not to go to GP/pharmacy (my local has done the NHS flu jab in the past) but to instead await a letter. Really hoping it isn't a case of waiting to the end of January when booster due...

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Are we now? :rolleyes:

coronavirus-data-explorer.png

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's 9,940,000 confirmed UK cases versus 5,450,000 confirmed cases in Germany.

Someone good at maths help me, not sure which is worse. o_O

peterba likes this.
  14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Yes but you're letting facts get in the way......

WillieJ, Zou and peterba like this.
  15. Learning

Historical cases. Look at present numbers. UK is running into endemic dynamic stability. Germany's curve is running into winter disaster. Germany is nowhere as bad as UK on some measures but for present cases per hundred thousand is level pegging.. Good recent developments in covid treatments might yet prevent dire numbers of deaths in Germany. Look at deaths from covid per 100 thousand over the last year. UK was bad (due to Kent otherwise known as delta) but gets better. Most of Europe gets worse.
    I suspect that by the time all developed countries reach endemic stability then deaths per million will be much of a muchness. Many parts of the undeveloped world will look much better. They tend to have very few middle aged and old people, and covid is not, in most cases, terminal.

16. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Taking the UK figure of 9,940,000 and dividing by 10, and then multiplying the Germany figure of 5,450,000 by 10, the result is:

UK: 994,000
    Germany 54,500,000.

From this, it’s easy to see that the UK is doing far better than Germany. I’m amazed that you weren’t able to calculate it for yourself, @Zou.

Zou likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The unit is larger but the graph basically the same. Would you mind clarifying your point, because the data says it's bollox... ;)

coronavirus-data-explorer (1).png

18. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I got two flu jab letters. One for local GP practice - I was going to be away so told them I’d fix my own, then a second that came same day as one saying get a booster. These last two came after I’d arranged my own booster and as luck had it, flu.

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Bit like me and the covid jab. Spending a tenner on fuel to loose 3 days wages still doesn't appeal and I certainly don't fancy doing it every 6 months.

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Bit of a decision to make here.
    Spend a tenner & loose 3 days wages..... or ....... save a tenner, work 3 days but risk loosing the rest of your life...... difficult one.......