1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Name and shame

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

My mum and stepdad have it now.
    We were in Wales with them last week, so we are both doing checks - we did one yesterday and will do another tomorrow (negative so far)
    Mum sounds rough, so I am keeping in contact by text and phone at the minute.

3. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I do it a couple of times a week at the moment. Cant be too careful.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, Andy.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery for them, and I hope that you've both managed to avoid it.

Footloose and AndyTake2 like this.
  5. AndyTake2

We hadn't bothered with the testing before now.
    We have no social life, and the only time we come into contact with anyone is if we are in the supermarket, and we avoid peak times anyway. We also always wear masks, but as we were in the same building as my parents we thought it best to do the checks for the next 14 days just in case.

6. AndyTake2

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yeah....... that's pretty much how we've been going along. It's bloody tedious, but what can you do? :(

8. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I'm sorry to hear this and hope they make a full, swift recovery. Do they have any idea where they may have picked it up from?

9. AndyTake2

Thanks.
    Don't know where they got it.
    Mum started coughing last Thursday, so average 1 week before that.
    Could have been restaurant, I think they ate out, but not sure. They are going through the track and trace procedure online.

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

From the BBC Website:
    It's all ok. They have a plan....

11. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Doubtless a cunning one...

12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Even a cunning plan from Baldrick would be a start!

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I hear the health bods are suggesting BJ does something to stop the rise in cases. I wonder if BJ thinks it has spread enouugh, though.

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

How many corpses does Blojob need to persuade him, I wonder?

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  15. Catriona

Until it affects his prime position? He doesn't care. Probably totting up how much the exchequer is saving.

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

As if this hasn't been pretty obvious for at least 18 months,
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58891702
    We hear far more about the shortages and pressures on staff in Care Homes, but much less about those often to be seen out and about going to peoples homes. These Personal Care Assistants are invariably on zero-hour contracts, very few can reclaim their travelling expenses and they certainly aren't in the position to hold down another job at the same time. Their pay is also disgraceful. The pride they are supposed to get from doing this work isn't going to pay their bills.

My Council is gingerly promoting the recruitment of PCA's by those who are Direct Payment users, rather than them using Care Agencies. This way, PCA's are paid significantly more (still vetted the same way that Agency staff are) and the money allocated to these users (who usually have long-term disabilities) isn't eaten up by the fees the Agencies charge, so it's a Win-Win for the recruited staff and the Council. One can well imagine that the Agencies are also upset about this strategy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I can honestly say it doesn't matter what actions the government take. Yesterday I had a pub lunch, followed by a spot of shopping in Salisbury city centre. My wife and I were pretty much the only people to be wearing face coverings in enclosed spaces and social distancing. Use of hand sanitising stations was non existant. There was no single demographic which stood out as not taking any precautions.

steveandthedogs, dangie and Catriona like this.
  18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've encountered the same thing too. - I still employ a face mask, It's not that great an inconvenience and since the majority of young Sino-Asian people who live in my area here have been employing face masks probably back as far as 10-15 years ago -to combat Reading's traffic pollution - If they are willing to do this, I can't see why Brits and everyone else find so socially difficult to do.

peterba and Catriona like this.
  19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Make Mask wearing in public places, shops, transport etc compulsory. It’s not difficult. It’s a simple measure that would go a long way.

However if the government made this decision on mask wearing the media and opposition would have a field day.

For a government reversing a decision because you were wrong, is worse than making an incorrect decision in the first place.

Brian, Gezza, AndyTake2 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Catriona

He'll just say it's against flu. Sorted.

dangie likes this.