1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yep - Covid Toe! :eek:

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Covid 19 will seem like a mere little starter if bird flue H5N6 mutates a bit to improve its ability to spread by human to human contact. Human to human transmission apparently has happened in China. Until recently such transmission was considered impossible and the risk of such transmission is very slight. The survival rate in humans is around 50%, based on a small sample of only around 50 cases. There's nothing to worry about ... yet. The red tops will love the story.

3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Oh, no! Now chimneys are going viral. o_O :confused: ;)

Learning, dream_police, Gezza and 2 others like this.
  4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Smoking kills:eek:

Gezza, peterba and dream_police like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

But chimneys do get high! ;)

peterba and dream_police like this.
  6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Lang may yer lums reek:).

peterba and Catriona like this.
  7. peterba

I 'liked' your post, Andrew, without any idea of what it means. :D

I tried it in Google Translate, but it failed. :confused: ;)

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"It is to be hoped that your chimneys will continue to exude smoke (and keep you warm)."

:D

Catriona likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That's the trouble will spell checkers that are not content aware.

peterba likes this.
  10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

peterba and Catriona like this.
  11. peterba

I think you meant "with"....... ;) (this could become recursive :D)

Learning likes this.
  12. peterba

I'm fairly sure that you're propagandising us again, Andrew. ;) :D

13. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

In scotland people traditionally visit neighbours on hogmany (new years eve) and into the early hours of the first of January. This is sometimes called first footing as the first person to arrive (the first to put his - yep expected to be a he) foot through the door in the new year is a particularly honoured visitor. The first footer should be tall dark and handsome (and male)else bad luck is likely for the next twelve months. While I generally recon 2 out of 4 aint bad I always hung about at the back until someone else was safely in the door. The requirement for the first footer to be dark haired is a result of folk memory fear of vikings. I looked like a viking and (assuming you get canankerous old git vikings) still do.
    The traditional gifts brought by first footers are black bun (a cake heavy with dried fruit) and a lump of coal as people generally struggled to keep warm in winter and staying up so late with the fire on in the middle of winter was a bit iof a luxury. The traditional cry of the first footer is "Lang may yer lum reek". In other words may you continue to have sufficient resource to buy coal and sufficient health to build and maintain a coal fire. In a rural community of coal (or peat) burners the first indication that a neighbour has fallen seriously ill or died in winter is a lack of smoke from their chimney.

Zou, peterba, John Farrell and 4 others like this.
  14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Many thanks for your explanation - as you'll guess from my surname, my father had half Scottish blood in him, and I can remember him going through the ritual when I was young. These days, I wouldn't be able to find a piece of coal or peat.

WillieJ, daft_biker and Catriona like this.
  15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The way fuel prices are going, I'm sure a financial donation would suffice! ;)

16. WillieJ

I did occur to me after I posted that with the approaching epidemic of fuel poverty then if there were such things as gas and electricity vouchers they could be a modern substiute.

Catriona likes this.
  17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Just be glad it's not camel toe:rolleyes:

MJB likes this.
  18. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

Down our way, first footing is likely to be some pisshead kicking your door in!

John Farrell likes this.
  19. WillieJ

Its not unknown up here.

John Farrell likes this.
  20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

More of a west coast thing tho... :rolleyes: