1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I am only shopping within school hours. It seems sensible to avoid all children as if they have the plague.
    In a way they do.

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that prior to being jabbed this morning, I was asked to read through a list of blood-thinning agents that I might be on. I can't recall being asked this before my earlier two jabs. I've been on soluble aspirin since my heart attack in Dec 2019. I felt tired after lunch, but have been OK this evening.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I am struggling to see why this proposition should be limited to covid times...

WillieJ and Catriona like this.
  4. Learning

Under normal circumstances they are not bad. Indeed Uni students are far worse around freshers' week.

Zou likes this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Getting out of control over here. Very concerning. Wide spread community transmission on Barra. Back in care homes on Lewis. In fact cases all throughout the Islands.

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Stay away from people, the Delta is very effective.

Graeme

Catriona likes this.
  7. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Our outbreak is still going - daily cases are in the mid 20s, with 45 cases a few days ago. These are almost all contacts of known cases. The decision on moving Auckland's lockdown level is due on Monday - pundits are picking there will be no change. Today, though, there was a "freedom demonstration" in Auckland - 1000 or so people, mainly followers of Apostle Brian Tamaki, who has his own church, although antivax and antigovernment nutters took the opportunity to join in. This is the sort of thing which in other places has been a superspreader event.

Catriona likes this.
  8. John Farrell

Daily cases here are still in the mid 20s, and unfortunately the virus is spreading in groups which avoid contact with the authorities, like criminal gangs - this makes contact tracing difficult, and we are still getting unlinked cases popping up. Auckland has a slight easing of their level 3 lockdown tonight - from tomorrow family groups can mix, but only outside, and only with distancing and masking. Auckland still has a hard border with the rest of the country. The rest of the country is still in level 2.
    The government has eased back on the "elimination" message, and is relying on vaccination to beat this delta outbreak - nearly 50% of those 12 and over are fully vaccinated, and another 30% have had their first jab. The government wants at least 90% of this group fully vaccinated before significant easing of restrictions.

Catriona likes this.
  9. John Farrell

Daycare has reopened in Auckland today, and our granddaughter is really happy to be going back to hers.
    Hailey daycare.jpg

10. Catriona

Hello Cookie!! What a poppet she is. Full of fun.

Footloose and John Farrell like this.
  11. Catriona

Our local testing facility's equipment has gone kaput. So now tests have to be flown to Edinburgh to be carried out. Ha! So no new cases reported yesterday. We are now at 816 cases. Not so good from a population of c25,000.

GailCarson likes this.
  12. John Farrell

She is indeed - her mother has been trying to keep her busy, and work from home at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

Hmm. I'm not really hopeful. Vaccination doesn't stop either contracting the virus or spreading it. I fear it will be around for quite a time yet. Perhaps get less next summer? I think it will be like the common cold or flu and just keep attacking us.

GailCarson likes this.
  14. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I had it in February and also long covid but finally went back to work this week. My work trousers were hard to fit into.

Zou likes this.
  15. Learning

We are now open to variants of the virus from most of the world.

The Government has lifted its advice against non-essential travel to 32 countries and territories.

Bangladesh, Fiji, Gambia, Ghana and Malaysia are among the locations for which travel advice based on the risk of coronavirus has been relaxed, the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said.

The UK will stop advising Britons to avoid all but essential travel to non-red list countries.

Idiots.

Catriona likes this.
  16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

It's levelling up. The world will be as good as we are for helping the spread of the virus.
    Trebles all round.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Seeing as the list was premised on border controls/racism rather than covid risk, and countries with far higher covid risk weren't in the list, is there really any point to this?

18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

On the bright side Frank. You are still here to struggle into them.:)

Learning, MJB and John Farrell like this.
  19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I put on about 10% weight as I wasn't able to burn off many calories and my appetite remained constant. Even after the vaccination my appetite increased so I wonder if my body fighting the virus was the reason for the desire to fuel?

Catriona likes this.
  20. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There's a lot of reasearch going on into how the virus affects various parts of the body including the brain.
    I've no doubt that everything from the toes to the effects on the brain will be studied in detail.

There are multiple medical reasons for appetite increase, and it is very possible that this virus triggers some of them.

GailCarson and Zou like this.