1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a burkha. At least it covers up all the wrinkly bits.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Why not get a Gurkha instead...

3. Catriona

No mountains to climb. All downhill from now on. :p

IvorETower likes this.
  4. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

get the right ingredients and he could help you with your kukri:D

...I'll get my coat:p

MJB and Catriona like this.
  5. Catriona

How cutting!!!
    I'm off to sulk now.

AndyTake2 likes this.
  6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Latest blood test showed antibodies still present (2nd vaccine dose was at the end of July).

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Glad for you.

I've come to the conclusion I will never be safe.
    All vaccinated people can still catch the virus and pass it on.
    They won;t get seriously ill (good) but I would.
    What a future!

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I couldn't care a damn about my antibodies. They will have disappeared yonks ago. What about my T cells?

9. Catriona

Well, unless they've been zapped by radiation or you have a rare genetic make up which leaves you susceptible to any and all bugs - I'd say yours are working same as they always did. Same as anyone else in normal health.
    My problem seems that mine think any foreign chemical is an enemy requiring action.

10. Learning

I'm not so sure. Given your history then then the Phizzy stuff is not for you but how certain are you that the AZ would be bad for you. Obviously, and with good reason, you have got the wind up about vaccines. Now that most people in your area have been vaccinated and resources for monitoring are less stressed, is there a chance to get AZ with good post vaccination monitoring so as to prevent a fatal reaction. AZ is remarkably safe for us oldies. I'm not so stupid and arrogant to say "If I was you" for the simple reason that I am not you.

11. Catriona

It was the AZ one I went for. I was prepared to risk it but they wouldn't. End of story.
    As for being safe here? No, not so. Too much travel of locals and workers. Cases keep rising at present. Currently over 700.

12. Learning

I was answering Zou's post that seemed a bit triumphant. I know that covid-19 might kill me. A petrol tanker might kill me, in spite of a shortage of drivers of these machines.
    Quite simply, and brutally, covid-19 will become endemic. We are all are going to face it unless something else gets us first. I am not in normal health. My heart stopped working and I became clinically dead (for several minutes) about fifteen years ago. In the days before defib machines a doctor would have certified me dead. Someone did CPR, someone ran for a defib machine, someone phoned for an ambulance, and in those day it came with paramedics. Clearly the system worked and I still am here amongst the wake not the dead.

Without a vaccine you will have to become a recluse as long as you live. You seem to realise that. The job in hand is to get a vaccine that does not damage you. When you were refused even AZ that happened many months ago. Has the situation changed? Knowledge of these vaccines and their side effects certainly has changed over the last few months.Are you really sure that you cannot safely receive an AZ vaccine?

13. Catriona

(Yawn)

14. Learning

Yes. I or we are not you. I am not the best person to be supportive.

15. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I think Kate has made it clear over the course of this that it is not the vaccine itself, it is the carrier. PEG and other chemicals are added to the mix in order to make them fluid and keep them from being damaged by storage.
    Unfortunately she has severe reactions to chemicals such as PEG, so the vaccine could be seriously dangerous.
    Once the nasal delivery systems are in place, then those unfortunate enough to have such reactions have a better chance of immunisation. I hope they appear soon.

Catriona and Learning like this.
  16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Certainly wasn't meant as such. I have heard worries from some folk that antibodies are dropping off quickly, hence boosters, but meant to imply that it really does vary.

17. Learning

PEG is in the MRNA vaccines not AZ. Sure there are other chemicals in the AZ, but are they harmful?. There will be preservatives at least in the nasal delivery vaccines.
    During a mass vaccine delivery short cuts are taken. Once the peak of delivery is over it should be possible to offer great care to people who might suffer potentially serious side effects.
    Covid-19 will become endemic. There is little doubt of that. We all have to face that.

18. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Eight covid cases in the community here today, all in Auckland. Seven have been linked to previous cases, and were already in isolation. The eighth case is somone who presented at the emergency department of Waitakere hospital last night, and is so far unlinked - they have been admitted to North Shore hospital. There has also been a wastewater detection of covid in Tauranga (which is south of Auckland). This could be a recovered case still shedding virus, or an acute case - more wastewater and community testing is being done there.

19. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Your government really is failing to get a grip, John. I mean....... eight cases!

Our latest figure is only 37,960. ;)

20. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I had my Pfizer anti-Covid booster jab this morning.
    Yesterday, attending my GPs' surgery for a blood test, I was offered a Winter Flu jab which I accepted, so hopefully, I'm now well protected...

John Farrell likes this.