1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Well that is it. I shall have to stay gray.

Catriona likes this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

That started as a promising drama, and TBH it was very good. That is until she decided to take him away. Completely spoilt a potentially good drama.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've got this bee in my going grey barnet that it is the proliferation of Polysorbates and polyethylene glycol in products and food which is conditioning our immune system. It is positively fed up with preservatives (other than salt or sugar) in our foods.

WillieJ likes this.
  4. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

In parts of Canada you now need a health pass to eat at McDonald's and other fast food restaurants.

Petrochemist and Catriona like this.
  5. Catriona

Ha! Can anyone provide one? ;)

Nig likes this.
  6. WillieJ

So one needs to prove one is healthy in order to be allowed to eat unhealthy food? I suppose there is a logic to that but it would be just as logical to decree that one could only eat unhealthy food if one could prove one is already unhealthy.

IvorETower and Catriona like this.
  7. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

Health passes are issued to people who are vaccinated. Unvaccinated can't eat in restaurants or go to
    a theater or pub.

Catriona likes this.
  8. Catriona

I was being ironic when I said has anyone got one (for Macdonalds etc).
    Never mind.

9. WillieJ

thanks for the clarification.
    W

Catriona likes this.
  10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We are off to France this week. I have downloaded my French AntiCovid app and uploaded my vaccination certificates to that. Without that we will not be able to use bars and restaurants etc. I was speaking to a chap last week who has been to France recently and they were hot on it. They had to show every time.

Catriona likes this.
  11. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The Covid outbreak here chugs on - with 20 or so cases a day, all in Auckland, and most linked to existing cases. Auckland went to level 3 last week - this allows businesses which don't have customer contact, like construction, to open. They are likely to be in level 3 for at least another week. Vaccinations carry on, with 1% of the population getting jabs every day. So far, 42% of the population over 12 is fully vaccinated, and another 34% have had their first shot. Other parts of the country are at level 2. This means most businesses are open, but there are restrictions on the numbers allowed in indoor areas, masks are encouraged when in public, and required when in businesses, and scanning or signing in is required when entering enclosed spaces.

Catriona likes this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Covid going well here. We have plenty of cases among the unvaccinated. Over 50% of children are estimated to have had it harmlessly and very soon that will be close on 100%. A majority of adults have been vaccinated and are expected to get only minor symptoms if infected. There is clearly concern for vulnerable people who cannot be vaccinated for good reasons, and for people for whom vaccination is not effective; hopefully they won't have to keep their heads below the parapet for much longer. We hope that by the winter flue peak most people will be either covid safe or dead. That's not nice but I guess is true.

13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We take a different approach here - Pfizer have presented their data on the use of their vaccine in 5 - 11 year olds, and once approval is given, it will be rolled out to this age group. Pfizer's data for younger children is expected next month, and they are expected to be vaccinated as well. We aren't expecting much relaxation of border controls before mid 2022.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Covid may well be going well but funnily enough as fewer people wear masks then infection rates rise.
    As you say hopefully anyone jabbed getting Covid is less dangerous, but tell the 100 odd people dying daily how well we're managing the disease

Zou and Catriona like this.
  15. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

The tube here is sometimes 50-50 on mask wearing or worse

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

... and we are still getting over 30,000 NEW cases every day in the UK. Why are people still not taking this seriously? .... or have we reached the stage where many say "well if I get covid and die, so be it. There's not much to live for at the moment with all the issues and mess that the UK is in"?

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I agree that the vaccine should be offered to all for whom it is deemed safe.
    There is a moral argument that states that the doses offered to young people would be better used in the poorer nations. That should be a decision made by individual families, not government.
    About 50-50 in shops around here. I don't know about public transport.

18. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Just received a letter re booking a booster jab as it's more than 6 months since my second.

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I had my letter a few days ago, and I'm being jabbed tomorrow morning. Earlier today I had my winter 'flu jab.

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

A neighbour's son who is about the same age as me eventually got a Pfizer jab on his 3rd trip to a vaccine centre. The first 2 they would only give him AZ so he walked out.

He didn't experience any side effects and he wants a vaccine passport to travel. Thankfully there is nothing I want to do that requires it so I'm still not tempted to try that palava every few months for potentially the rest of my life.

Catriona likes this.