1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I assume at least one of you must have a 5g phone?;)

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't but tomorrow I'm getting part 2 of the upgrade. Hopefully it won't cause the same 4 days of outage as the first part did.

Catriona likes this.
  3. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Well, I wrote too soon. Today on day 9 of self-isolation, elder daughter's elder daughter has tested positive which appears to mean that they now all have to self-isolate for a further 10 days. It's been bad enough for her and her partner keeping 2 young kids indoors for 10 days and now they have to suffer another 10 days. What happens if they get another positive test at the end of the second 10 days? a further 10 days?

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I've not seen anything like that here. I don't need the money, but a couple of months on around £30k pa, even after tax, would buy some nice Nikon Z kit. Presently I enjoy voluntary work, but it has to be said that doing something valuable to the community and being paid for it does have an attraction. I suspect that I could 'massage' my CV a bit to be relevant.
    I would not have laughed. I'd have gone for it.

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Well test came back negative (and credit to the Royal Mail as I only posted it around 5pm Saturday afternoon) but I still have to self-isolate because I have been told to by track and trace. I confess I sat in our back garden for an hour today no one near me, I haven't talked face to face with anyone since Thursday and am now so stir crazy I tried to have an intelligent conversation with Alexa!

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

You'll be able to enjoy the Bluetooth connectivity then. I have radio connected directly to my ears now.

Zou likes this.
  7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

What annoys me is where I have to put the batteries:eek:

John Farrell and Zou like this.
  8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Here we go again - a case of covid has been detected in the community in Auckland, The government, informed by what is happening in Australia, has put the country into level 4 lockdown for 3 days - 7 days in Auckland and the Coromandel(they suspect it is the delta variant). This means everyone stays at home, only essential businesses (supermarkets, pharmacies) open. This is where we were in March last year.

9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

At least your government is doing something about it.

We still have thousands of new cases daily and dozens of deaths every day.

S

John Farrell and peterba like this.
  10. John Farrell

There are a number of differences to last March. Masks are recommended for those in places where they might meet others. Genome testing is quick and efficient. There is also waste water testing in many places across the country. 20% of the population over 18 years old are fully vaccinated.

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

But latest U.K. figures are 89.5% over 18 have received their first dose and 77.55% the second.

12. John Farrell

We haven't had a community case for 6 months...

13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done. I've just heard the skepticism by the interviewer of a spokesman from New Zealand, of your eradication policy. But what about opening up? What about trade? Shades of jealousy I think. If your economy hasn't suffered and your people have remained safe, then carry on as you are! Good luck to you all.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

UK figures? I'm doubtful. What source?

15. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The "interesting" bit is going to be when a fully vaccinated NZ opens up again - the country has been in an incredibly privileged position, and I wonder what will happen then? Thus far, the NZ authorities have done an amazing job.

Meanwhile, I found this in my LinkedIn feed today - I don't actually know any of the dramatis personae but I do know the bodies involved (very, very well in some cases, I remember watching the Jenner Institute's first building being built): https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/features/making-billion-doses-vaccine-18-months-starting-two-tablespoons

Note the bit about the vaccine being made available at cost - this s the vaccine that various governments have tried to get cheaper than price...

16. John Farrell

The economy is doing well, exports continue. The part of the economy that relies on foreign tourists is suffering, but locals have taken up some of the slack.

Catriona likes this.
  17. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I’m sure the government in New Zealand, despite them doing an excellent job so far, know that the country can not stay locked up for ever. Some day they will have to open up. To wait until the rest of the world has successfully controlled the virus could be an awfully long time.

18. John Farrell

We will open up when a large enough proportion of the population is fully immunised, and suitable testing and vaccine passports for incoming travellers are in place.

Catriona likes this.
  19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Letting incoming travellers into the country is one thing, but when New Zealander’s see the rest of the world travelling ‘freely’ they will want to do it also.

20. John Farrell

They will be vaccinated, and there will be provisions for them to isolate when they return to New Zealand. Where they isolate, and for how long, will depend on which countries they visit.

Zou likes this.