1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

FTFY #2.

Zou likes this.
  2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

I'm with Terry Pratchett here - anyone who knows the words to the second verse of a National anthem is to be mistrusted, and "Ner..nerr neeerr Queeeeeeen" should suffice:D

gray1720 and Catriona like this.
  3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Most humans aren't at all stupid. Centuries of propaganda from every politician of every brand has simply robbed them of the will to participate.

If there's one thing guaranteed to make the bitterest political enemies combine, it's the threat of compulsory voting.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I don't see much evidence of that, in Australia. ;)

Learning likes this.
  5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

You and me both! I will need to check it when I get back to work although to be fair thus far when they told me to isolate they did

Day two, I was allowed to leave my flat because my test arrived this morning and I had to go to the nearest priority post box to send it back. I should get the results Tuesday or Wednesday but my boss says test or no test I am not back in the office until next Friday but I suppose if its negative then I'll let her know and see what happens. If it is negative then whatever she says I may go for a walk because I am already going stir crazy. Also it is costing me a fortune, I was going to go to Lidl yesterday but I now have to use the Co-Op because Lidl don't deliver last nights few bits were easily 40% dearer than Lidls and I am not getting paid until Tuesday not to mention every week I get vouchers on my Lidl loyalty card and they run out Thursday and this week all 4 are for stuff I use

Luckily somehow after last night Amazon Prime showing next delivery Monday today I have managed to secure a delivery for tomorrow so some other supplies will come that way including 500ml of sugar soap concentrate so I can wash down some paintwork and even attempt to paint a shelf, might as well use the time to do some jobs I have been putting off

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

This could be for me. Hope so anyway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57553602

Right now, protection against Covid-19 comes via an injection. But in future, those vaccines could come from inhalers or even pills.

In a white, airy laboratory in Medicon Village, one of southern Sweden's largest science parks, chemist Ingemo Andersson holds up a thin, plastic inhaler, half the size of a matchbox.

Her team is hoping this tiny product could play a big role in the global fight against coronavirus allowing people to take powdered versions of future vaccines at home.

"It's easy and it's really cheap to produce," says Johan Waborg, CEO of the firm, which usually makes inhalers for patients with asthma.

"You just remove a little plastic slip and then the vaccine inhaler is activated and you just put it in your mouth, take a deep breath and inhale."

or this
    Ziccum is testing a technology designed to air-dry existing or future liquid vaccines in a way that doesn't limit their effectiveness.

This could make it easier to set up so-called "fill and finish" facilities in developing countries, allowing them to complete the final stages of vaccine production on home soil.

The vaccine powder would be mixed with a sterile water solution just prior to immunisation, and then injected using vials and needles.

WillieJ, DaveM399, AndyTake2 and 2 others like this.
  7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Interesting but they are still testing on mice. Even if all goes well, how long will it take to certification for even emergency use?

8. Catriona

Well it's not in the UK so maybe sooner rather than later!

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

There are a few of the nasal delivery trials going on. Hopefully none require PEG and prove successful

Catriona and Learning like this.
  10. Catriona

I agree. Hope the one which can be reconstituted with sterile water becomes available. Or even the pill.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

UK was on the ball with the AZ vaccine.
    Indeed. If all goes well then they are probably only a few months from limited use. Also would PEG be as likely to cause a bad reaction with a nasal delivery? (I have no idea. I'm just asking the question.)

12. Catriona

I would assume so. However the delivery, the reaction is systemic so PEG would still provoke a reaction.

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The have plenty support in the Borders....in some ways it is just a few miles away and in others a million miles. Can't just blame the English :(.

14. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0...T5BrpzhECSVL8JS3_ULjC1QmfqAGlaxHjFwcFq9aEnKRU

These ladies were on the ball re the vaccine, they listened to the WHO and persuaded Oxford Uni to fund their work.......the UK gov eventually got on board some months down the line.

Graeme

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

peterba, CollieSlave and Catriona like this.
  16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

I do not understand how the test-and-trace works either. It would appear that it is madness in some cases. I the past month both of my daughters have been contacted to isolate, in one case 7 of them from work met up one evening, a day or two later one of them feels ill and is tested, proves positive. All 6 others are contacted and told to self-isolate. None of them tests positive throughout the 10 day isolations they undergo. How do they know that the original "positive" didn't come into contact with someone else after they went their separate ways, and caught it from that person or persons, and not before the 7 colleagues all met up?
    The other daughter was contacted from childrens' nursery where her 4-year old attends as one of the staff there tested positive. Only the 4 year old has tested positive; my daughter, her partner and their other children have all tested negative throughout the 10 day isolation period. Even the 4 year old has shown no symptoms.

Complete and utter farce that has disrupted many peoples' lives unnecessarily; no wonder the transport industry and supermarkets, other shops etc are struggling to get enough staff to cope.

Lesley, I hope you keep well and get through this episode. Take care and stay safe

daft_biker likes this.
  17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The Track and Trace notifies people who have been close to someone who either has Covid, or there is a very strong chance they do have it. Are you suggesting that there is no value to be gained from preventing someone from possibly passing it onto others?

Ok, so there are imperfections in the system being deployed and it's a pain in the rectum getting pinged under the above circumstances, but surely, delaying the notification of others until it's confirmed that someone actually has Covid, is too late in the day.

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

To be fair, the Royal Mail don't really have a role in covid contact tracing. ;)

Catriona likes this.
  19. Catriona

Saw an ad today by my local NHS hospital. For a contact tracer/call minder. £26k - £33k. Fixed contract. That made me laugh (and I told them so). Our cases continue to rise alarmingly. The latest in a large Nursing Home. It's totally unacceptable, but happening.

20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I got a letter telling me to isolate when my son tested positive, so the Royal mail do have a role in contact tracing. Aside from the absurdity that he lives 100 miles away and at that point I hadn't had contact with him since February 2020, it arrived one week after his positive test:confused:

Zou likes this.