1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think the Buccaneer came close! Also Concorde, but she was beautiful. I recall being at an air show once when the Buccaneers did a low level fly past. It was absolutely deafening.

2. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

I have had a flu jab every year for years with no adverse reaction whatsoever. In the early 80s a yellow fever jab straight after work knocked me out completely though I was fine the next morning. If I remember correctly its a carrying agent that does that rather than the yellow fever vaccine itself.

3. Catriona

Oooer!
    I had to laugh this morning when someone closely involved in the latest vaccine was being interviewed. The interviewer started quizzing him about whether it is long lasting and whether it stops someone passing on the virus. He replied - give me a break here! I'm over the moon we've got this far. We'll have to wait and see for the answer to that. I thought - good on yer mate!

steveandthedogs, AndyTake2 and Zou like this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

We've been in level 2 for a while now. The neighbouring town, Dumbarton was level 3 until today when it was raised to level 4. The main effect of living next to a town in a different tier has been trains full of people coming here for our open pubs. And trainloads of drunk people staggering around town not social distancing. It remains to be seen whether the extra restrictions in Dumbarton result in fewer pub-tourists or not. Two of our hospitality establishments are currently closed because staff members have come down with Covid though so perhaps if htey keep it up there won't be anywhere left open for them to travel to anyway.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Possibly the same here come the last Friday of the month when we go down to 2; Edinburgh to decant to East Lothian pubs. :(

They might try Midlothian pubs, but given the choice why would you?

Geren likes this.
  6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Back in August, when one region here (Auckland) was at level 3, and the rest of the country at level 2, there were police checkpoints on the roads out of Auckland.

AndyTake2 and Catriona like this.
  7. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Give me a couple of months I am sure I can makle up an answer to that - not saying it's one I would believe....

Geren and Zou like this.
  8. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

When going to your GP for 'Jabs', you need to start worrying if you see a dartboard in the practice nurse's room!
    I remember being at an airshow when a Vulcan or Victor passed overhead, and I would have thought either of these made a lot more racket than those already mentioned!

Catriona likes this.
  9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I never saw a Vulcan in anger that I remember, but I did see XH588's last display, at Old Warden of all places, and the pilots hauled it round that tight display line like it was a fighter. They flicked it away from the crowd, gave it full throttle just for a second, and every car alarm on site went off - the earth really did shake!

Sadly, the Hunter I also saw at OW (the pilot flew the English Electric Wren, popped off in a Cessna, and returned in the Hunter!) was lost the year after at Shoreham, and we all know about that...

10. Catriona

I must say when I was with hubby in Chivenor (him with the helicopters) the Hunters never bothered me. The pilots, who I knew from their basic training days, however, did! Bless them! :)

11. Catriona

Apparently the ones doing the testing here appear to take the attitude that the deeper the better! My neighbour's son was done the other day and thought they were removing his tonsils via his nostril. He had gone through the procedure many times, since he travels in his job, but he said this was the positive worst and most painful! Hope I don't have to get a test. Think I'll ask them to take the mouth route!

12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Same at a display at Culdrose. I got used to the sound back in the late '60s at Waddington, 2 squadrons of them! No car alarms about in those days that I knew of.

13. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Sadly it's both

My first test I remember looking at the swab and reading the instructions to "insert the swab into the nostril that will be most comfortable for you", looking at the size of the thing I thought "Neither"

Catriona likes this.
  14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Not much of a problem for those who snort drugs though ....

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Nice to see you back!

16. Catriona

Has anyone else noticed the very subtle, and very effective, tactic now used by an interviewee when asked a difficult question?
    Flatter the interviewer by saying, in a very sincere tone, that's a very interesting/good question! Yes, we have been considering - blah blah blah. Instead of the scenario becoming one of poke, stab, defensive answer, it suddenly becomes a cosy chat about possibilities.

Very clever if not overdone. Having heard an increase in its use however, it could have run its course already.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Thanks only temporary at the moment, tomorrow and Friday I have time off so I am going to give my ISP hell! If that doesn't work then I will be offline again until Monday

18. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had a camera shoved up my nose to check my throat. Started as every month, then two months, three months and finally six monthly checks for about three years or so. [Actually, it may have been longer, but you know how time flies when you are enjoying yourself.]
    You can get quite used to it.

S

Catriona likes this.
  19. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hello again!

S

20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Or nurses practice room.