1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Last night BBC4 had a programme called 'Plague Fiction' which is well worth watching on iPlayer:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000mmjf/plague-fiction

Amongst the material shown was a broadsheet paper from the 17th century which listed the deaths in London, which also offered readers the option of adding to the printed death-toll, the names of those they knew* :eek::oops:. Just think, (Warped mode On) maybe if our newspapers considered employing the same tactic, it would increase the number of papers they sell each day? :rolleyes:

There were also some clips from a German stop-motion animation film called 'The Periwig-Maker' based on Defoe's 1772 book, 'A journal of the Plague year.'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DkNq5Kp4A -part 1
    -part 2

One thing that intrigues me is that in 1991, there was another film called 'The Sandman':

This has left me wondering if the same team of animators were employed on both of these?

2. Footloose

That, reminds me of a political-satire book I have, based on one of Lewis Carroll's books, called 'Adolf in Blunderland' published in 1939.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adolf-Blunderland-political-parody-Carolls/dp/B000MNLKIG

Will we see an updated version published, called 'Boris in Blunderland'?

3. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

the Great Dick Head...

Catriona likes this.
  4. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

The "wonderful" Covid testing scheme has offered a local boy a test in Dundee, only 493 miles away!

And a local Covid test centre is being shut down and turned into a Brexit lorry park!

Is there no end to this government's incompetence?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Landsend?

Graeme

Zou likes this.
  6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We had another death from covid reported today, taking the toll here to 25. The man who died is the younger brother of the coolstore worker who died a fortnight ago, and, at 54 years old, is the youngest person to die here of the virus. We have had no community cases for the past 2 days, but there are cases among returnees from overseas. Those of you in England may be interested to hear that our contact tracing and testing system is working well.

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  7. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

World leaders in it.

S

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

But is it world-beating?

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Your tongue is firmly in your cheek today! Ha!
    When we land on the moon, I expect our situation will be no change from our present muddle.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

HMRC estimates the fraud on the furlough scheme could be £3.5 billion. At the same time the comptroller and auditor general would like to discuss government procurement with D. Cummings and M. Gove who (allegedly) handed out loadsamoney to their mates in preference to other potential suppliers.

Britain under the tory party is definitely shooting for gold! :(

11. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No chance of that happening...world class fraud at it's very best

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

"Who said Britain's finished as a criminal nation?" ... N. Seagoon

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Here, have an OBE...

14. John Farrell

Back in March, contact tracing here was inadequate - each District Health Board (similar to your NHS trusts) had their own contact tracing team, but these teams were small, underfunded, and used incompatible computer systems. During our first lockdown, the government spent a lot of money increasing the size of the teams, setting up a centralised computer system (and persuading the DHBs to use it), and organising a call centre to do telephone tracing. Most testing here is done by private labs, with government contracts, and with this, it was a matter of making sure they had equipment and reagents to support the level of testing required. During the recent Auckland outbreak, they were able to handle 25,000 tests a day.

Digitalmemories and Catriona like this.
  15. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

OBE = Other buggars efforts

MBE = My bloody efforts (mostly)

Catriona likes this.
  16. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Just a thought, off at a tangent. The E.U. has voted to raise income to its treasury by taxation, on corporations. These costs will, of course, be passed on to 'the public'.
    750, 000 Million Euro over 2021/2027 plus a commensurate 1.1 million,million Euro by non-disclosed means.
    The U.K. currently pay one-sixth of the E.U. gross budget - just where the blue-blazes are we going to find that kind of contribution?
    We, U.K. have our own budget problems.

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Did you see how Rishi's dine out on me scheme had kept inflation down to 0.2%...but did you know that increases in Pensions are based on August inflation figures...

18. WillieJ

WillieJ Well-Known Member

Explains a lot. Got a letter today advising me of the inflation increase for my first 12 years career working pension - better than a slap on the belly with a wet mackeral but only marginally (or so a friend told me).

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  19. John Farrell

We have yet another interesting coronavirus case here - a returnee from India, who was in managed isolation for 14 days, and had 2 negative tests in that time. They presented with covid symptoms 5 days after completing isolation, and tested positive. Genome testing showed their infection was linked to others that returned on the same flight. Health authorities are checking to see if they could have been infected on an internal flight they took, to return to their home after isolation. The other possibility is an abnormally long incubation period, for an infection acquired in India.

20. Footloose

I have often wondered how the incubation period is calculated, and if indeed it's longer than Virologists think it is.