1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The government here has extended Auckland's level 3 lockdown until midnight on Sunday - it was due to end on Wednesday. There are still new cases being found, all linked to the same cluster, now of 102 people. Some months ago, the government released the "Covid Tracer App", for smartphones. This is a diary type app, which involves scanning QR codes at locations one visits, so these can be stored on one's phone. 43% of the population over 15 years old have installed the app, and there are 313,000 locations with QR codes. I don't have a smartphone, so I keep a paper diary of locations I visit.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

As a subscriber, I've just been reading the online version of the multi-page article in the Economist's August edition of the 1843 magazine, which over the past 3 months has been following the lives of the Doctors, Nurses and Paramedics working in 5 of London's hospitals and the London Ambulance Service as they are fighting Covid-19. Probably the best piece of investigative journalism I have read about what these dedicated people are having to contend with. If you are keeping what will be historical material to pass onto future generations, I'd say this needs to be amongst this.

3. John Farrell

Auckland came out of level 3 lockdown at midnight, into what the government is calling level 2.5. Businesses have reopened, the checkpoints on the roads out are gone, schools are open again, but social gatherings are restricted to 10 people, masks are compulsory on public transport, and recommended if one is mixing with others. We still have cases, but so far they are contacts of the known cluster. The Health Ministry is confident that the testing and contact tracing regime will contain the outbreak.

Catriona likes this.
  4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Hopefully, it will not just be preserved, but acted upon.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Talking to my niece who is a Pathologist, she thinks that Corvid-19 has meant that some things which would take months to get implemented are now happening with less than a week. One has to wonder if this is not necessarily because of the higher levels of management in hospital Trusts, but rather because a 'bomb' has been put under those in the NHS itself, which the Trusts probably have to also seek permission from?

Learning and Catriona like this.
  6. John Farrell

We've had our 23rd death from covid - a man in his 50s who was a worker at the Auckland coolstore, at the centre of our latest outbreak. We currently have 111 other active cases, 37 incoming travellers, and 74 from the Auckland cluster. There are 5 people in hospital, one of these is in ICU at Waikato Hospital.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear your news.
    It's not very good here in Scotland. I think it's a battle we won't win until there's an effective vaccine.
    I don't know about other people, but I feel pretty depressed about it all and rather fatalistic about my own future. The lack of normal healthcare is hitting a lot of us hard.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    John Farrell likes this.
  8. John Farrell

We seem to have got on top of it again, although the government is keeping the current restrictions (level 2.5 for Auckland, level 2 for the rest of the country) for 12 more days. This means restrictions on social gatherings, weddings funerals etc, compulsory masks on public transport, logging movements through the cellphone app, or diary entry, etc. Hospital treatment here is trying to catch up with the delays from our first lockdown - my diabetic eye clinic appointment was due in July, but hasn't happened yet.

Catriona likes this.
  9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Depression and mental health problems are bound to be a big issue with this damn virus hanging around. Everyone is feeling stressed, and your feelings of depression are perfectly normal. If you feel that it is really affecting your everyday life, pick up the phone and talk to your doctor - antidepressants can help, and though not the best solution, are certainly a way to carry on.

Normal healthcare is a pain. For you on the Islands it must be tough, and part of that is wondering whether you should go to a clinic or not I guess. The only thing you can do is ask. I think you are right about the vaccine - the sooner it gets here the better.

...And remember that you can always rant on here to one of us - we're all here when you need us.

John Farrell, Catriona and spinno like this.
  10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Can't easily get to see a doctor about other things. Just spent hours jumping through hoops. Eventually got her to ring me back then it took as long to get her to give me an appointment to see her at the surgery.in thr normal way.

Catriona likes this.
  11. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I went into B&Q earlier to devalue my house some more with my Heath Robinson creations:D

Couple in queue stopped for not wearing masks (looked completely perplexed) B&Q staff member just told them he couldn’t stop them entering, but needed to inform them of B&Q covid legislation, and off they went into the store :confused:

12. Danno

Danno Active Member

Not trying to be pessimistic here, but I frankly do not expect to see a reliable, safe and affordable vaccine for COVID during my lifetime. We simply have to adapt, and follow a proper, new, protocol of personal and social hygiene.

Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

I saw today that our Island figures for positive tests had gone up by two.
    We were given an explanation.
    Apparently a mainland test done by NHS labs came up positive for these two people.
    Tests were redone here and have proved negative.
    One wonders who to believe.

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

That all depends on if you’re an optimist or pessimist?
    Which do you want to believe?

15. Catriona

It has been said that as case numbers go down, false positives will go up. I don't really follow the logic of this, but I have heard it said by those who purport to know.
    Difficult to know who to believe in the case of the two mentioned above. I and many others feel sure we have had more cases than has shown up on the stats. That means nothing, I know, but there's a lot of movement to and from the mainland so the chances that we have no current cases is, I think, unlikely.

16. Catriona

This has just been posted by my Health Board.
    Quote:
    NHS Western Isles can confirm that two individuals in the Western Isles received ‘false positive’ test results this week.

Essentially, two individuals received positive results from a mainland laboratory, which were re-tested through the NHS Western Isles laboratory and were confirmed negative.

The mainland laboratory system was designed to provide rapid results for a large number of screening tests. Where a result is a ‘weak positive’ in someone without risk factors for exposure to Covid-19, a confirmatory test is recommended.

The confirmatory test that is used by NHS Western Isles in the local laboratory is called a Cepheid test which is considered to be the ‘gold standard’ in testing for Covid-19 and is used as the system to ‘retest’ as necessary. Where this test is negative, the mainland laboratory test is regarded as a ‘false positive’.

In the two cases this week, confirmatory tests have shown that Covid-19 was not detected. We wish to reassure our local communities that public health risk assess each result and all such tests are thoroughly investigated. End quote.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We don't know. I am neither an optimist or a pessimist. I am adapting to our situation quite well. I am generally careful and avoid what to me are daft risks. I minimise essential risks such as shopping. I accept greater risks to do things that I really want to do.
    In my earlier life I have climbed mountains where parties had to be self sufficient and mountain rescue not available. I have rock climbed routes which many people would consider dangerous, but in reality some very exposed scrambles, done without rope protection, were far riskier. I would hope that most sensible people will have learnt how to assess risk, not only to themselves but to other people to whom they might cause risk.
    We need to be rational. The only certainty resulting from birth is death. I hope that when my time comes, it comes easily. I do not want to spend time in an old folks home where some money sucking company profits from what is euphemistically called personal care.
    If a vaccine becomes available, maybe on special licence because stage three trials are not considered properly decisive then count me in.

18. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I think it is a balancing act for me . I wear masks, wash and/or sanitise my hands on a regular basis (I now have a Pavlovian reflex when it comes to hand sanitisers. Yesterday I used 3 in less than 2 minutes) try to social distance as much as I can, provide my track and trace info in the Bell's but also I accept the risks I refuse to be like a friend of mine who despite having zero risk factors has barely left the house since the end of March because "If I get it I'll die and my children will die (btw they're all over 25 and live elsewhere) and my grandsons will get it (one lives in Lewisham and the other in New York) and die"

19. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Perhaps she has a 5g phone..... they transmit it apparently

Learning, LesleySM, AndyTake2 and 2 others like this.
  20. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Well apart from her daily jaunts to the shops- she has now managed to work 2.5 days since March and is getting paid for it. I am very fond of her but when I have to be at work because I am a key worker (so is she apparently but she says her office don't social distance well neither does mine) and dealing with a boss who claims it is her mission to get rid of me before she retires and she says "I'm just popping to the shops" it can get very hard to be polite