1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm getting really fed up. Stand by!

[rant] I'm getting fed up with the Government pretending that all they do is perfect and that they haven't made mistakes.

I'm getting fed up with the opposition criticism. Lock down Leicester next week - too little too late; lock down Manchester now - too much too soon.

I'm getting fed up with selfish people who rush off to Spain, France, Croatia, Brighton, the pub at the earliest possible opportunity. Then complain if I/or my Government don't want them to bring the virus back to infect me (and you!!)

I'm getting fed up with selfish, uncaring, stupid people who break the rules with parties, raves and other things and get away with it. They are not playing with their lives they are playing with mine (and yours). Yes I know a few of those and have 'had words' but don't think that I made the slightest impression.

I'm getting fed up with authorities (including the police) who let these things happen and take little or no action.

Could go on but I guess you have had enough by now.
    [/rant]

Thanks for listening
    MickLL

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I agree, but I've run out of fight as no one is listening.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think bar and restaurant owners are wary of taking action because they suspect they would not be backed up by the authorities.
    I think the police are wary of taking action because it is doubtful that anyone has actually broken the law.
    I think the Government is wary of appearing dictatorial, making gatherings illegal, and upsetting those who voted them in.

The result is that those people ignoring advice realise all the above and do what they want to do.

It has been a long weary road since March and some of us (me included) feel we have only delayed the inevitable. Not much fun is it?

John Farrell likes this.
  4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

What can I say - but good luck! Wash your hands properly, observe physical distancing rules, and wear a mask. Stay home if you're sick, and seek medical help.

Trannifan and Catriona like this.
  5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

No it's not and today I've woken in a bad mood.

My household of six contains two vulnerable and one shielded plus two kids who are raring to get back to school/play with their friends and 'do something' . It's possible that if the virus got into our house that three of the six of us could die. To contemplate that possibility because someone can't wait to get a pint/strip on the beach doesn't help my mood.

The best we can hope for is a vaccine or treatment before the blasted virus 'gets us' because get us it will.

Yesterday I had what politicians call a 'full and frank' discussion with a friend. Happily our friendship is strong enough to withstand such a discussion. Briefly she's a chemist and one of her favourite sayings is "as a scientist ........." She was saying (I believe correctly) that there's not much of the virus in our area. What she didn't seem to accept was that any visitor from outside the area (including her son from London - but currently in Spain!) could change that in a day or two. Maybe that's what put me in a bad mood.

Sorry . MickLL

Catriona likes this.
  6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The Government is too Namby Pamby with mass gatherings whether it be beaches, beauty spots or 'illegal raves'.
    It's unfair and impossible to expect the police with their limited resources to control them.
    But we have a military available who can. We aren't involved in any major wars right now, and as fighting Covid could be considered a war, utilise the military.
    Some may think this would be extreme, but extreme measures are needed.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

They are, and the first is to sack the current cabinet and replace them with a national government headed by someone who's not a narcistic idiot with delusions of adequacy.

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Ah well, something made me smile this morning. A neighbour too far away to get a decent photo of, is cutting her rather damp grass. She is wearing a big jacket, shorts and a big pair of pale blue wellingtons. Made me smile (she is a nurse).

9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

This morning I was up very early. I posted my rant above during a coffee break. Since I got up I've painted the garage woodwork with preservative (not too much preparation needed), pruned a massive tree that was interfering with the comings and goings in our drive, mended the lopper, mended three garden chairs, marked the boy's homework (making up for lost schooling) and now I'm on my second coffee break and feeling much better!!

MickLL

10. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

The girl clearly knows her PPE.

Graeme

Catriona likes this.
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have just spoken with my friend, the film director. He’s getting ready to shoot again but in preparation he has to have 3 COVID tests a week!

Catriona likes this.
  12. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I would complain about people walking the wrong way in meadow hall shopping centre, but at the same time, I don’t really need to go there...

The rule for wearing of surgical masks should have been introduced earlier.

How many of us here are guilty (at some point) of breaking the governments guidelines?

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We were hoping to meet up as he will be filming near me, but as big bucks are involved with everything to do with making a film he will be in a bubble, no visitors and no one outside of the bubble. I guess they risk losing too much.
    Good filming locations though. New York, Tokyo, Morocco and wait for it... The Peak District.

Catriona likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've not knowingly broken the covid guidelines, or more important, the covid law. It hasn't been difficult.

MJB, dangie and Craig20264 like this.
  15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

A state of disaster was declared in Melbourne, Victoria today, and an 8pm to 5am curfew introduced, lasting 6 weeks. Here in New Zealand, we're still in the happy state of no community transmission, and the only covid cases being travellers in managed isolation. Apart from the lack of overseas tourists, life is back to normal - there are big rugby matches, with large crowds, at the weekend. People are taking their holidays locally - the Otago skifields were flat out, over the recent school holidays.

Craig20264 and Catriona like this.
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Do you want to bring the riot act back. The way it worked was that a crowd was told to disperse. If they did not then the military opened fire.
    The public order act of 1986 doesn't have the same bite. Offenders have to be tried and found guilty before punitive action, the maximum of which is ten years imprisonment.
    I don't think that the British public want a new riot act. It would be open to abuse.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

We got off to a bad start because we had about a million and a third of our citizens out of the country in March. Managed isolation was not possible We did not have a single case zero.entering the country. We had several thousand scattered across the nations.

18. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

So how do we prevent mass gatherings? Obviously appealing to peoples common sense isn't working.

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, as Mayor of London, Boris bought a load of water cannons. Unfortunately, the law doesn't allow them so he had to sell them on. At a loss, of course... :rolleyes:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Good idea but I think the water cannon would work better in winter rather than during a heat wave. However throwing a few ‘Canons’ at them might do the trick :)