1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Your result is comparable to our 2017 election. The National party (a conservative party) gained the most votes, but less than a majority. The next 3 parties in the results, Labour, NZ First and Green, negotiated a majority coalition. We use MMP, a form of PR.

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Neither was I :p

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Not exactly...

Conservatives: 13,966,454
    Labour: 10,269,051
    SNP: 1,242,380
    Liberal Democrats: 3,696,419
    Total votes: 29,174,304
    Total registered voters: 49,153,700
    Turnout: 59.35%
    Proportion of votes cast for winning party: 47.87%
    Proportion of possible votes gained by winning party: 28.41%

:(

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I am puzzled....on Monday on my way back from the shops I noticed the Bells was open, well the door was and someone was cleaning in there, which is fair enough and the blinds were down so I got to see the bar for only the second time in 3 months.

Got home last night for the quiz (Third but had to share so only a fiver on the tab but better than nothing) and it was announced that next week's quiz will be the last one! This could either be down to Aaron deciding he can't afford to be generous with the prizes beyond that point or could it be he knows something I don't and expects to be open soon? Probably the former, last time anyone saw him he was saying late August/early September, most of the regulars are backing the end of July but I suppose it really all comes down to whether the government goes down to 1m

5. LesleySM

6. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

So we are no longer transitioning.

Graeme

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You miss the point:

No because a majority voted them in. You have to look at why we have such a government and sort the causes of that. Ditto USA.

8. Andrew Flannigan

In both countries the people in charge didn't want democracy and gave into demands for it as gracelessly as they could. They went to a lot of trouble to exclude as many potential voters as they could (Americans being cruder but more successful) and did everything they could to keep power where they wanted it to be: in their hands.

This has resulted in our pseudo democracies where the slimiest loses the least and thus wins the power.

Petrochemist likes this.
  9. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

Probably still better value than the government.

10. John Farrell

New Zealand has 2 new cases today - a couple in their 20s who arrived on a repatriation flight from India on 5th of June. The infections were detected by routine testing at the quarantine centre where they were staying. The couple have no symptoms. 7777 tests were processed yesterday, and our test processing capacity is more than 12000 a day.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

It must make you want to close the borders off to new people coming in.
    I'm envious of your ability to carry out so many tests daily - even at a time when you have hardly got any cases and the temptation would be to slow down.
    Here in Scotland we've managed a pretty pathetic quarter of a million over 3 months, with a population of 5.45 million.- 4.6%. We are currently running with only 1.2k - 3.5k a day. It's just not enough in my opinion. Now they are talking about family/extended family trips to and from mainland Scotland. No doubt our cases will rise after that. It's bad enough those working on oil rigs coming back and forth and all the other 'essential' travel.

daft_biker and John Farrell like this.
  12. RovingMike

So how would they have accomplished that if only 20% of people had voted for them? Or if 40% had voted LibDem? I don't think grossly distorting reality really leads to answers. They had no way to do what you suggest they did. The power lay with the people and they misused it, so that is where you have to start if you want to solve problems, rather than just feed our own prejudices and stereotypes with them.

13. Andrew Flannigan

We're at cross purposes I'm afraid. I was specifically replying to your "and sort the causes of that" and talking about where our democracies started. Both countries were dragged into democracy and at each step the then ruling groups resisted the idea of "mob rule". The American solution was the Electoral College, which can award the presidency to a candidate rejected by the popular vote. The British solution was the "first past the post" system which was thought to benefit incumbent candidates and their patronage. Neither are guaranteed to deliver what their founders sought but do achieve the primary benefit of discouraging the poorer and less well educated from voting.

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  14. John Farrell

Test numbers had dropped, before the latest spike in cases, but the capacity is being maintained, and they have enough stock to do 260,000 tests. The people coming in are citizens or permanent residents, who can't be stopped returning to their home country. We have about 3500 people in 14 day managed isolation and quarantine, and they now get tested 3 days after arrival, and 12 days after arrival. Around 20,000 people have gone through quarantine. Anyone declining to be tested is held in quarantine for 28 days.

Catriona likes this.
  15. LesleySM

Yesterday the reception desk finally got Perspex screens and minutes later the level dropped to 3. In the office on the second floor, we have never been able to social distance, boss drew up a rota right at the beginning where we'd work 2 days one week and 3 the next so we'd only have half the staff in at any time- as our workload had reduced at that point it made sense, it got vetoed the Friday before it was due to start. Then there was a suggestion we could be furloughed but for office political reasons no-one even dared to consider it.

The finale was when the trainees came back from being redeployed and it was decided in order that the 3rd floor trainees could socially distance the archive team would have to move into the 2nd floor, so not only we were crowded in to begin with we were now even more crowded!

They offered us reusable face masks a week last Thursday, this Thursday I had to track them down because it never occurred (as usual) to the management that the office staff should get any.

They finally put up signs about social distancing etc last weekend and a couple of those have even started to fall down!

We raised our concerns last week only to be told a risk assessment had been done. This office has staff in it from 8.30-6.30 and we haven't seen anyone doing anything of the sort. Then again it took the office manager 9 weeks and a million emails before we got hand sanitizer for our work areas when you would have thought that would have been a very basic thing from the beginning

On the second floor we have two thoughts:
    1. The day they give us Perspex screens will be the day when 10 minutes later the level drops to 0
    2. We're the canaries for the second spike

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Don't worry Lesley. The chances are that by now you have all received lots of little doses of live virus and are now immune.

17. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Reading between the lines, I think the government has suddenly realised what a hit the economy is taking and has heeded the pleas of the hospitality industry that large chunks of it are on the point of total collapse unless the 2 metre rule is drastically reduced. There are many NHS beds available, and the Nightingale Hospitals were never really needed. Recent protest marches and a few other events have shown that huge numbers have collected in crowds, yet there has been no spike in covid-19 cases. I think that the government has sort-of given up on lockdown and is effectively telling us that we can judge the risk ourselves and act how we want, but there will be spaces in hospital if we do fall ill

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It is still the case that some people have a very high risk of dying if they get this disease and that many people have more risk of dying by being struck by lightening. It seems that once you have had it you may be immune, or at least be liable to not get a bad case. There is not a simple binary choice of safety.
    It is difficult to read between the lines. I reckon that at my age, and medical history I would have a 50% risk of being hospitalised and if hospitalised a 50% risk of dying. I really have no idea of the risk of worst case scenario , that is surviving with incapacity to look after myself. I want to live a normal aged person's life and when the time comes just go. My mother took nearly ten years to die of dementia . I would hate that.
    Unlike most living people I have experience of dropping dead, albeit in a nice way, at least for me. I experienced a VF event in the gym where I did cardiac rehab. To me I just fainted and found myself in the familiar setting of the cardiac unit where I had previously been treated. Only later did I discover that I was over a week missing in my life and many people had made a big effort bring me back.
    I am not going to be reckless over covid-19, but I am not going to spend the rest of my days imprisoned in my own home.

19. John Farrell

We have 2 more cases today, taking the total to 7. One of the new cases is the child of the 2 from yesterday, the other a woman who arrived in New Zealand from Delhi on 15th of June. The government has started sending cases for quarantine to hotels in Rotorua and Christchurch - the suitable Auckland hotels are all full.

20. RovingMike

That plus all the reports on growing effects of the lockdown and the economic damage. Effects on children, people living alone, people with dementia, cancer etc. Many are now dying from the effects of saving others, which we knew perfectly well at the start, but it took a) the NHS to be ready and b) public opinion to move from the one-dimensional saving lives reaction.

Catriona likes this.