1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It is indeed. My daughter caught a nasty dose after being a first responder to a rail incident. It pushed her out of uniform. She's stayed with her force but doing a job that's a lot less stressful. She still has to carry a radio with a red button because some of her work could turn hairy but it's been plain sailing so far, at least that she's told us.

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

You don't need to wear a uniform to suffer from PTSD, but unfortunately I can't get people to understand that I suffer with it because I "ain't been in the army".

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

We have one more new case today, to add to the two from a few days ago - another traveller to the country, from Pakistan this time, who is in isolation. Testing has been ramped up again - nearly 5000 tests processed yesterday.
    The media here is really beating up on the story of the two women who were allowed compassionate release from isolation, and tested positive. Interestingly, this is the same media who a few weeks ago were running sob stories about those unable to get a compassionate release!

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Wifey treats it all the time. It can be an effect of almost any kind of trauma, especially road accidents.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

6. RovingMike

I can think of many people who ought never to be allowed to remove them. Should there be some aesthetic standards one has to measure up to? ;)

Catriona likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

No you don't. I know someone who was attacked by a psychotic individual and has classic symptoms of PTSD as a result. The attack occured around twenty years ago and he still suffers the consequences. It's a nasty ailment but it can be difficult for macho idiots to understand things like that.

8. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

steveandthedogs likes this.
  9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Given our government isn't fit for purpose, can we ditch them and bring one in that does work from another country?

10. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Yep, but Apple will take 30% of all revenues:p

Learning likes this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't think that Martin was referring to a replaement app.
    From where do you suggest? I don't know. I would like to read a suggestion from Zou.o_O

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Could swap with Pitcairn Island?

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

The obvious choice is NZ, but I will stop short of an endorsement as I don't know much about them other than corona response and PM.

14. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Or Finland.

S

Catriona likes this.
  15. John Farrell

Our charges would be too high for you, and you might find it a stretch to have to support the All Blacks, and give up that round ball game.

Trannifan, DaveM399 and Catriona like this.
  16. John Farrell

The Royal New Zealand Airforce has started flying stranded workers from Vanuatu, back home. There are 1000 people from Vanuatu here, who came to work in the horticultural industry, and were trapped by border closures here and in Vanuatu.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Well, for folk in the Anyone But England camp there are advantages to that! ;)

But why would we give up cricket? :confused:

18. RovingMike

No because a majority voted them in. You have to look at why we have such a government and sort the causes of that. Ditto USA.

19. John Farrell

The ruling party won a majority of seats - but a majority didn't vote them in.

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yes.

A quick calculation I did just after the last election:
    GE19.jpg

Some things to note:
    • The turnout was only about 67%
    • The corrected seats figure would entail some form of nationwide-list system of PR.
    • The totals are not as expected - due to votes lost to candidates whose parties got no seats at all.
    • The anti-PR mob will bang on about Israel and Italy as a reason for not having PR, ignoring the fact that about a hundred countries in the world have some form of PR.