1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Thinking of the reaction in the US, the only violent demonstration that ever achieved any thing was Kristallnacht, and that was state sponsored. On the other hand, Ghandi's non-violent demonstrations freed a nation of 390 million from British rule.

I rest my case.

2. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'll have to disagree. Kristallnacht was state-sponsored terrorism, specifically organised by the Nazi party. I'll agree that Ghandi's non-violent movement achieved its aim. The looting by the minority of protesters in the US is undoubtedly counter-productive, but Trump's threat to send in the military is - in plain and simple terms - electioneering, and there are no depths that he is not willing to plumb in the pursuit of a second term.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  3. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I take that as meaning that you wish him and the cabinet harm - maybe even death from the virus.
    If that's not what you meant then I apologise and ask that you explain what you did mean.

I really deprecate the sort of attitude that wishes harm to others simply because you disagree with them. It shows a paucity of intellect that's quite disturbing and an attitude to individuals and, ultimately, society that's frightening and needs to be extirpated.

I really wish that the mods on the forum would delete such posts.

If I wished that the poster and his family contracted Covid then I would expect to be attacked violently by all reasonable people on the forum but the same wish against politicians doesn't raise an eyebrow.

Please think what you post guys and gals!

MickLL

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I read it as the cabinet would have to isolate, limiting their ability to misgovern.

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Exactly. The country will be safer without them for a few weeks.

Graeme

Gezza, steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

In that case I apologise to you - but stick by my general point.

It's still the case though that wishing them infected with a killer virus isn't really acceptable. Maybe you just didn't think it through.

MickLL

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you never enjoyed satirical press and programmes?

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On the other hand, after considerable thought, my opinion is that nothing will so befit the lives of the current cabinet as the leaving of it. If you find that offensive, deal with it.

Catriona likes this.
  9. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Yes Kate I did.
    If you can think of an example of any such programme that wished physical harm, and maybe even death, on their target then please tell me.
    Anyway it's obvious that (again) I'm a lone voice and so maybe I'll slink back to my burrow!!

MickLL

10. Catriona

So, to meet targets 67,000 samples sent to the USA for testing? And 30,000 sent back as void (couldn't be tested). That's desperation to maintain the testing targets and propaganda. Even the statistical experts are shouting about the misinformation. Doing well aren't they all? Decant old people from hospitals to make bed room for COVID-19 patients. Care homes then became the most dangerous places for deaths from the virus.
    Success?
    Something to brag about?
    Well managed?
    Borders open and no testing on travellers?

I don't think Government policies or behaviour has been anything to be proud about.
    No doubt it will be said later 'that lessons have been learnt'.

Utter losers, the lot of them.

Gezza, Trannifan, AndyTake2 and 2 others like this.
  11. Catriona

On reading the post, nothing was said about wishing anyone dead.
    Only that they be gone from Government.
    I wish!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    steveandthedogs and Zou like this.
  12. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

No you're not. I'll stick up for you. Disliking and not agreeing with someone is one thing, wishing harm is something else. Attempting to defend words as 'satire' is shutting the door after the horse has bolted. I still remember forum members rejoicing when Boris contracted Coronavirus. That wasn't satire, it was rejoicing.

Derek W and Learning like this.
  13. Catriona

Not at all, but it takes a certain philosophical view of the world to appreciate black humour and satire.
    As I saw in a recent FB post, at this point, I shall just say to you 'I agree'.

14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

This is reminiscent of our Cummings discussion - a completely different interpretation of the same words!

Let's look. Sharma is taken ill, presumably with Corvid. So far no difference in our interpretation I assume.
    AGW reports that he was in a cabinet meeting on Tuesday and adds the word 'result'. What do you think that meant? To me there's only one interpretation and that's that the cabinet will be infected with what we are assuming is Corvid.
    The result of such an infection of the cabinet might be to remove them from their jobs for a while and I accept that's what AGW meant. However another possible result is that one or more of them die.

To interpret it any other way is , to me, perverse.and stems from your political views rather than from anywhere else.

MickLL

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I did make the point that Kristallnacht was state sponsored, and the state had been Nazi for five years by 1938, but in any event, my point was that violent demonstrations have never achieved anything.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There's nothing perverse about wishing people who have done harm gone. It may not sit well with those who like to project an image of moral superiority but that's just a bonus.

Gezza, Zou and Catriona like this.
  17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Might be like one place I worked where the 2 senior managers left at the same time and because the average NHS HR department is slightly slower than a doped up snail dragging a 5 ton weight the leadership of the department was one person acting up to cover both jobs for around 5-6 months. The person acting up was someone who started on the ground floor and over the years done most of the non-clinical jobs if not all of them and knew how everything worked.

Those months were the best organised and efficient we ever had! The big project was replacing all the toilets in the building both staff and patients ones, she brought the whole thing in, on time and under budget in 2 months.

When the jobs went out to advert she wanted to apply for one of them, remember this is a job that at this point she'd been doing exceptionally well for a few months. She was told she couldn't even apply because she didn't have a degree....

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I think there are exceptions: the Poll Tax riots undoubtedly caused the Tory party to change course, and lead ultimately to the demise of Thatcher. Violence in parts of the British Empire - say, for instance, in places like Yemen, for though the British forces tried to hold on, they did ultimately withdraw in 1967, and this has happened in other parts of the world, not least in Afghanistan.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A simple solution to reduce the risk of MPs spreading the virus back in their constituencies while allowing them to take part in full parliamentary activities would be to put them all into an isolation bubble, camping out in their offices in Parliament and Portcullis House. No social distancing, no PPE. Quite a few would get ill but only about half a dozen would die.(About 1% of about 650). This would be acting in solidarity with all those people expected to work in unsafe workplaces. In less than a month all the survivors would have immunity and could then work completely normally. Members of all parties would face the same risk.

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

It's your opinion that they have done harm.

Let's change the venue of the meeting and see how that sits.

He went to sing with his Gospel Choir - result.
    He went to the Synagogue - result.
    He went to the Mosque - result.

Presumably you find all those acceptable too. There will be people who hold the opinion that the attendees at all of those venues/groups have done harm.

Why do you and others try to defend the indefensible just because of your political views. Why not just accept that the remark that AGW made was thoughtless and had implications that he didn't consider. I pointed out those implications.

It's all very simple . Accept that a thoughtless comment was made and let's move on.

MickLL