1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oops! :confused:

2. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

This is all coming back to bite him in the November election.

Also have you seen Trudeau's pause? I am sure that he must have expected the question and rehearsed his theatrical response. Brilliant.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world...-epic-pause-when-asked-about-trump-s-response

4. Andrew Flannigan

Whether he did or he didn't he's shown up both Trump and Johnson for the incompetent scum that they are.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Presiding over race riots and siccing the national guard on POC didn't seem to harm Obama's legacy, so I'm yet to be convinced that Trump won't be re-elected.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Let's be fair, Trudeau is a two faced dirtbag too, promising nice things then immediately forcing an oil pipeline through indigenous territory.

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

8. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you are correct. Poking Trump in the eye with his speech is a great thing, but the pipelines and the gas works are a disgrace.
    I was watching something about the Canadian wilderness recently, then they showed the oil and gas works that are ripping through the countryside. It is shameful.

9. Andrew Flannigan

From what I can see the pipeline is a major infrastructure project of great importance to the whole of Canada. You may not like the decision but it seems to have been arrived at fairly.

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

How is it fair to those who objected to it?

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

When you fly to Toronto, generally you cross onto Canada around Goose Bay, then you transit over the wilderness for another three hours. The scale of the impacts of logging and mining, in remote areas where there doesn't even seem to be a road is scary.

Graeme

12. Andrew Flannigan

That's a question with either no answer or many conflicting answers.

13. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

His dramatic Mussolini-esque pose with the bible was well calculated to get the right wing solidly behind him. He knows his market. No good appeasing people who are never going to vote for you anyway. His stance on law and order and in defense of local businesses and property owners is likely to be a big vote winner. Elections are won by appealing to the marginal voter. The rest simply don't count.

Zou likes this.
  14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

15. RovingMike

It is as fair as rejecting it would be to those who need it. No more, no less.

16. RovingMike

Aren't you confusing that with the natural topography of the Canadian Shield?

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I disagree. Those who want it will benefit hugely whilst those that don't will barely benefit (if at all). Not having it would result in a more equitable distribution of benefit.

18. RovingMike

But how many are there of each?

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

IMG_20200603_150531.jpg

20. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Looking at the oil industry here and who benefits, it is clear that there's a lot more not gaining from it than there are gaining from it. I'd be surprised if it were otherwise in Canada.