1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I am 76 so I still have 2 weeks of isolation to go but I might even extend it. I have a garden, my daughter shops for me, and I occupy a 4 bedroom house so I am bored but comfortable.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm hoping to survive any way I can until there's a vaccine. BTW I'm older than you!

MickLL

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

So who's the oldest here? Any advance on 86?

4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Can't beat that.

MickLL

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

That is very optimistic. Some will fall on the way. I am still being very careful. Hopefully our chances of surviving the virus may improve within a month or two. Several repurposed drugs seem to be effective at different stages of the disease. Many trials are in progress. Drug trials are quicker than vaccine trials. Even when drugs are approved further work would be needed to optimise doses and timing.
    There is still doubt that herd immunity may last. Another possibility (not a probability) is that partial immunity can be 'topped up' by further exposure as the virus circulates in the community. No one knows, not even the experts.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'll soon be 74. More than I ever thought I'd get to.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Scottish numbers: 1 June 2020
    • 18 new confirmed cases of COVID-19
    • 1 new reported death of people who have tested positive

Going in the right direction.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that one possible reason for lower death rates in China and South-East Asia is that oriental people are less prone to pneumonia than people of European descent.

9. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

There are apparently about 150 viruses going around for which there is no cure nor inoculations. If you've not caught "winter flu" (or any of the others) for a number of years you may just have a very good immune system, so would have nothing in particular to worry about. I work on the basis that so long at you don't get coughed on or sneezed on, or touch anyone else, it's less risky than driving to the shops in the first place (and certainly less risky than cycling to the shops, which I seem to have been doing in preference to using the car for a few weeks now)

Catriona likes this.
  10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Only if you have a health condition. My mum is 87 and housebound due to an issue with a damaged vertebra or two. She didn't get a letter from her GP or the government when lockdown kicked off tellling her to self-isolate for 12 weeks and consequently does not get priority treatment for shopping home delivery. I queried this with her GP's surgery a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed that she is not in the "highest risk" group, so no letter and no requirement to self-isolate. She could, if she chose to, walk round her garden and go shopping but she's too frightened (of falling over) to leave her home.

11. Learning

It might have been modified to achieve that effect. This is not fact or even a serious suggestion. Don't propagate the suggestion.
    How does it effect Uighurs. They are a far more likely target than us.

12. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

That's what he meant. All countries might need to get to herd immunity, but he was being pessimistic. He was trying to point out the futility of "who got it right?" discussions while the thing is still out there. I suspect a huge amount of new learning will come in next few years.

13. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

14. Learning

It has been well publicised that the virus enters cells via the ACE2 receptors. It struck me sometime ago that ACE inhibitors might become in short supply. I have been ordering my repeat prescriptions as early as allowed so as to build up a little stock pile.

15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes I think the differences are so vast, you can't just say testing or tracing. That is simply fanciful. It was out of control in China, but they lost far fewer people. Must be something in the genes.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Joke going around - Britain's strategy to prevent the second wave is to ensure the first doesn't end.

17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

My understanding, as a Shielded person, very much at risk with Myeloma, is that Shielding is advice and not law. On the advice of my Consultant and key worker I have never totally shielded because it is so detrimental to my wellbeing and certainly not healthy. I do go out walking, maintaining at least four times the required social distancing, I always have gloves, PEE2 /N95 facemask and hand sanitiser in my pockets, but avoid touching anything, and I do mean anything. Nor will I be going inside shops, buying coffee or takeaways or going anywhere indoors other than a hospital for the foreseeable future. Yes, there is a risk, but very slight and I prefer direct medical advice than that pushed by HMG. I do speak as an individual, as you may recall, who contracted Viral Pneumonia in December 2015 and was in a Coma for 3 weeks supported by ECMO and suffered six chest infections last year. But there are risks and there are bigger risks. Walking in the open air is a minor risk for the shielded, some of who initially believe they weren't even allowed to venture into their own back gardens due to Government supposed laws.

Petrochemist and Zou like this.
  18. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Learning likes this.
  19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

They may be known in 'certain fields of virology' but I can't help feeling that various other fields could benefit.

Lynn

20. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Only posted to make the 5000th post.

Mark101, John Farrell and LesleySM like this.