1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I was going to make a similar post but with gentler humour. ;)

2. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Link please. You seem to being very selective again.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

The chamber is limited to 50 MPs.
    Up until now, they have had an electronic voting system for everyone else.
    This is now cancelled.
    They aren't going to be allowed to vote in the corridors (which apparently is their usual method)
    They are supposed to be having an early debate on how to vote.
    If they aren't allowed to be together.....well, go figure it out.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52834369

Catriona likes this.
  4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thank you @AndyTake2

5. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Absolute oblox!!!

You may not like what is proposed. You may not like the means of getting to an alternative. That opinion would be respected. Your post is a prime example of what I was complaining about above. Highly misleading and bearing no relationship to the truth.

If BJ had posted it the forum would be in uproar and foaming at the mouth with jibes about lying Tory scum. If we want to criticise and/or disagree let's at least do it on the facts.

MickLL

6. Learning

Thank you Andy. It would seem to be a work in progress. Limiting voting to only 50 people is not satisfactory. Presumably the number of seats allocated to each party would bare some resemblance to the ratio of MPs in the whole house. Voting would become pointless with votes cast according to the whim of the whips. There would be no individual input.
    The present system of digital voting works. Allowing 50 people in person in the house with 120 using video conferencing to make comment and the rest viewing on the parliamentary channel is not ideal but is better than what the leader of the house and MP for the 18th century has proposed.
    Zou has oversimplified but at its worst the proposed methods are not far off his suggestion. Lets see the outcome of events on Tuesday.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  7. Learning

8. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.
  9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I have always thought that they should not be allowed to vote unless they have actually attended the majority of the debate in the house. The electronic parliament provided a way of allowing this and partially monitoring compliance.

Graeme

Zou and Catriona like this.
  10. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

That's where we differ. You say simplified I say distorted. His post is a single sentence presenting 50 voters as a fact. Given that I don't believe that he's stupid then I have to believe that it was a deliberate attempt to create fake news (being polite).

MickLL

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

OK. If only 50 MPs are permitted in the Chamber - and electronic voting has been stopped - and no-one is allowed to vote via the corridors, where is the fake news truncating that to only 50 voters in Parliament allowed?

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Because the report, if anyone bothered to read it, said that various proposals to get round the problem were being made and that MP's, all MP's, were being asked to vote on an acceptable solution. Simple really.

MickLL

13. Catriona

Not at all simple.
    Nothing is in place other than 50 MPs in the Chamber.
    Various proposals being made? MPs to vote on an acceptable solution? All theoretical then. Nothing in place. Who knows? They might just settle for that 50 MPS voting. It's a possibility. Of course, if they pair up with someone not in the Chamber, it could be hilarious if it ends up as no-one voting, Ha!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Anyone notice the monkeys took some virus samples and ran away? What could possibly go wrong? Never watched the Planet of the Apes movies but I think that's a plausible origin story...

15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

To be stolen by some bats and away we go again!

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

When does the kid on a school trip to a lab get bitten by a spider?

17. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Woohoo! The government has tagged me with a new label. From today I can tell people I am "clinically vulnerable".

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

Will they pay you?

19. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

It's laughable Kate. All they've done is fiddle with labels so people who already knew of their increased risk from Covid have had the crap scared out of them by giving them a label previously used for those at highest risk and advised to shield (who are now "clinically extremely vulnerable"). The advice for me remains the same. As they say "if you can't dazzle them with diamonds, baffle them with bullshit".

Catriona likes this.
  20. Learning

Of course it was. But sadly his post is not far from the truth. I am not a lefty sympathiser. I am a true Tory. It is our duty to protect our democracy. Call Zou out but don't call his post a load of bollocks (that's the word you meant isn't it?). We are supposed to be superior to such down market discussion.

Sorry Zou . I know that you do not need the likes of me to defend your post. I think that Mick is going a bit over the top. I still do not agree with your political views in general.