1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

On the other hand, I believe that many people do "want Cummings treated specially". Something involving a tall cliff, a length of chain and a heavy rock, perhaps...

Waves breaking at Sidmouth P1012637.jpg

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Well apparently six people can meet as long as they do social distancing and meet in the open air like in a garden or a park... I was rather expecting him to be more generous in the hope we'd all forget about Cummings

3. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Just one active case left here - now we have to deal with the economic fallout.

ages.JPG
    test.JPG

Learning and Catriona like this.
  4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I have wondered about posting in this thread again for several days but eventually I can't resist. The reason that I can't resist is that I wonder how others get their information and how they process it when they have it. Maybe it's me.

Take the above. First it says that DC may, stress may, have committed a minor breach. That means that it's not certain that he did. The case is not proven. So when did anyone ever get fined if they 'may' have committed a breach. Second , if one reads the report, all of the report, he would not have been fined retrospectively even if a breach had been proved. The police said that they had never acted retrospectively against anyone. They were not prepared to treat DC differently.

Then look at the post about conversations between DC and BJ. If one listened to the explanation/attempted justification given by DC he was very clear indeed - no room for doubt. He said a couple of times that part of his job is to decide when to tell the PM things and when not to. He said that the PM's time is a valuable commodity and he can't be bothered with everything. Therefore, taking into account that the PM was ill, he decided that he would NOT tell the PM about his intended journey. No obfuscation no attempted cover up - he decided that he would not tell the PM. Days later they had a conversation that neither clearly remembers because they were both ill. Now you might disbelieve that - I have suspicions that it rather too conveniently lets the PM off the hook as far as condoning the trip is concerned. However it's a clear explanation of what happened. Disbelieving it is fine but to ignore the explanation is not.

What's the point of this post? It's not to defend DC. I think that he should not have done what he did. Even if he had been well within the 'rules' he should have realised that his actions would cause a feeding frenzy among those that hate him and there are quite a lot of those. He should have known better. In addition the whole affair has been handled terribly and has caused great distraction at a most inappropriate time.
    So what is my point? I don't believe that anyone posting here is stupid. Therefore they must know that they are ignoring much of the 'evidence'. They must know that selective quoting and, shall we say, strange conclusions weakens their case. Disbelieving the 'evidence' is fine but ignoring it serves no-one.

Finally an apology to Kate. I'm sorry that I used your post as an example. I did it because it was convenient, there are several other posts that I could have used. I used yours because I enjoy your posts and I know that you will give as good as you get!!!

MickLL

SqueamishOssifrage and Learning like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

As is said, all that it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    The way I see the current situation is that it is one in which freedom and rights can be whittled away and those in power can become not democratic leaders but dictators whose actions are never questioned since they tell us they act for the common good.
    For me, every action should be scrutinised and action taken if lines are stepped over. Motives should be looked at and a 'who benefits most?' attitude taken by us all. Sitting on the fence is not a good option. It seems the day of our power as the people who elect representatives to Parliament are becoming a sop to our perception that we also have power. It is no longer the case and we delude ourselves if we still think that way.

The current situation with Cummings, Boris et al simply serve to remind us, the population, that we really are powerless. Organisations, Institutions, Money and Elitism rule above everything.

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Anyone notice that parliament is being recalled and limited to 50 voting MPs?

Catriona likes this.
  7. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

They might struggle if they just want boris supporters

CollieSlave likes this.
  8. Catriona

Nah! A few backbench crawlers will come to the fore.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I haven't read the details but wouldn't be surprised if the 50 are hand picked by Cummings. :rolleyes:

Gezza, CollieSlave and Catriona like this.
  10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

So forget about him then. Think of something else. It's really not that difficult. You could think about photography :)

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pfft, what do you think this is, a photography foru... Oh.

LesleySM, AndyTake2, Catriona and 3 others like this.
  12. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I find the figures for the 70-79 group quite encouraging. It would seem my chances of surviving a dose of this virus at around 90%. That's rather better odds of surviving another 10 years under normal conditions. Some of those deaths took place in the early days of the pandemic and even in the last few weeks we have had some improvements in treatment

13. John Farrell

My local DHB, Southern, are going to start covid 19 antibody testing, using the Abbot Laboratories test. They are looking for missed cases among the contacts of known cases.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Are you emigrating to New Zealand?

John Farrell likes this.
  15. John Farrell

We had outbreaks in 3 "Rest Homes", as we call them here. One, The Redwood Home, in Christchurch, was for dementia patients, and had 13 deaths, out of the 22 total. Testing and treatment options were difficult for those with dementia.

16. CollieSlave

CollieSlave Well-Known Member

I loathed and detested Maggie Thatcher BUT at least she was honest and open about what she believed and thought and could, in that sense, be trusted. With this utter lying, deceiving, buffoon we have someone who cannot be trusted one inch. The briefing last night was classic Bojo bullsh*t - Vallance and Whitty prevented from answering perfectly reasonable questions, journalists being muted and not allowed follow up questions and Boris speaking optimistically about the progress of his (Cummings?) schemes to deal with the virus. It was notable that Whitty and Vallance appeared far from relaxed with the Boris rubbish, emphasizing the continuing very high rate of infection and continued high death rate (I suppose we are lucky that they were allowed to make these points!).

17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Bojo was doing his best Trump impression last night.

steveandthedogs and CollieSlave like this.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Why would they want me? The old and retired are a liability.

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You may be but I assure you that most aren't.

20. Catriona

I suspect the political ethos might be an irritation to you (and them). Ha!

steveandthedogs likes this.