1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Corona Virus

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Derek W, Jan 31, 2020.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Exactly right if someone has symptoms and they live alone they isolate for 7 days but in a household it is 14 days because of the 7-day possible incubation period if during that time someone else develops symptoms then the household re-starts the 14-day period

2. LesleySM

I quite often dream that the doctors have come up with something to cure Dave and I have to find him and tell him to see them but I can't find him

In one of the strangest dreams I had he was telling me he was moving away from me and would not leave me even a phone number all he told me was he was moving to Hoxton and even in my dream I said "I do NOT believe you! You HATE Hoxton!!"

John Farrell and Catriona like this.
  3. LesleySM

Donald Trump and two Trump lookalikes?
    What do you mean "Might" have been a nightmare?

John Farrell likes this.
  4. LesleySM

Do not forget you have to wear the wig as well!

John Farrell likes this.
  5. LesleySM

I read most newspapers yes even the Wail etc. The only ones I do not read are the Sun and the Star (although when it was the Sunday Star I used to find the stories in it hilarious- Hitler driving a bus on the moon with Elvis collecting tickets etc.) as long as you are aware of how they filter the news to appease their readers (After all they are businesses if the Wail suddenly went left wing, it would lose its readers and therefore the advertising revenue) I find it interesting to see how the same story is played out.

Catriona likes this.
  6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I love the objectivity of that method.

I can’t help ask what if the feathered swimmer is a goose or swan or gull or even a penguin. Does your method still work?
    Whatever the rules of lockdown Cummins should have known that the opposition would make hay with his actions.
    MickLL

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

They don't quack, innit.

Gezza and Catriona like this.
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I'm sure that he did. He's not daft. I guess that he doesn't care what anyone thinks about him. He showed a delightfully polite disdain for newspaper reporters and togs earlier today.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In other words (and forgive my use of technical language) he's an arrogant, nasty piece of tory shite?

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

He shows a similar disdain for everyone.

CollieSlave likes this.
  11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

As I'm sure Cummings is telling his glove puppet at this very moment: "Truth is irrelevant, Boris. What matters is what you can get away with".

13. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I hear he's caddying for Trump today :rolleyes:

15. LesleySM

Thanks to you and Nigel I have a terrible feeling I am going to dream of BoJo and Trump playing golf with Cummings as the caddy all wearing Trump wigs and Cummings wearing a massive pair of fake breasts that Bojo and Trump take turns to squeeze whilst making honking noises!

John Farrell likes this.
  16. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

And there's the rub, the word that defines your attitude, the bit that you can't see past. I rather suspect that it's that one word that colours your whole attitude to the event. It's certainly that word that colours Blackford's and Starmer's opinion and spouting. The rights and wrongs of the affair seem to have become irrelevant. It's just become a stick with which to beat the government and try to get rid of someone they see as a threat.

Now please allow me to say (and I don't suppose that you will believe me) that I hold no brief for the man or his boss. In fact I rather dislike him. However I don't see his action as a transgression quite as clearly as others do. Having said that I do agree that, even if it wasn't a transgression, it was pretty stupid.

MickLL

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  17. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Like the man or not, his action, given what the general public are "advised", was not the finest moment of his career. He is in the public eye and while the rest of us may be adhering to the rules, if he gets caught he and his ilk must remember they will be held to scrutiny.
    Personally I don't like him.
    What we have to remember is that we need a scapegoat, it satisfies the herd instinct that someone has to be blamed/guilty and should be punished. In the old days it was probably a lot more painful and fatal than it is today.

Petrochemist likes this.
  18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Mick, I think the issue is that politicians and media have been quick to jump to the accusation of others breaking the rules, so it's a clear case of double standards. Scottish Tories lambasted the Scottish CMO for making a couple of trips within the central belt, and BBC website headline "what was she thinking." DC on the other hand gets political support and BBC led for most of yesterday with a headline "says he did the right thing."

I'm not convinced the SCMO should have resigned/been sacked but DC's transgression appears to be more significant. Ultimately though it's like giving a mafia boss a parking ticket. He's done far far worse, including pushing the herd immunity concept causing fatal delays in lockdown and proper protective action. He had blood on his hands, long before he drove to Durham and back and back again and again.

Would honestly love to know what he's got on BoJo.

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Exactly what myself and my wife were wondering yesterday. Some pretty serious shit I would imagine. He has been in and out of posts for many years I believe. I reckon he has a fair bit on a lot of them.

In fact I have just been looking at his bio. In fairness he was right about one thing. After leaving his job as Director of Strategy, he called Ian Duncan Smith incompetent.:)

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I've been reading Jonathan Sumption's Trials of the State (I'm nothing if not fair to all) and I have to agree with his summing up of our (the) democratic state.
    The labels will still be there, but will no longer describe the contents...... the rhetoric of democracy will be unchanged, but it will be meaningless. And the fault will be ours.' end quote

As he says (to paraphrase his words) democracy will be lost not in a roar of revolution and guns, but will disappear without our noticing.

steveandthedogs likes this.