1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by nf3996, Mar 5, 2007.

1. nf3996

nf3996 Well-Known Member

I wanted to add this to my post below about AP magazine dated 25/11/2006, but I can't find a 'reply' button there.

As I understand it, the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988) allows individuals to photocopy copyright material, as detailed below, for the purposes of research or private study:

up to 5% or one chapter of a book
    one article from a periodical issue.

This is under the concept of 'Fair Dealing'. The 1988 Act also makes it clear that anyone may act on behalf of another in respect of the actual production of permitted copies. Therefore, asking if anyone is able to photocopy one article from an AP magazine does not appear to me to be breach of copyright.

2. downfader

downfader Well-Known Member

From what I can gather from the law of copyright as I understand it (and I'm not expert so please dont take it as gospel)... I was under the impression that photocopying was only really meant for education purposes?

I could be wrong though.

'Fraid I dont have a copy of that issue of the mag either, but I would second that for the cost of its still worth Old Timer Cameras price. Or failing that google the web for other reviews and online articles - theres plenty about on a lot of other cameras, some with downloadable sample pics. :)

3. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

Well, Alan wants to educate himself about something, otherwise he wouldn't be asking for a photocopy. Sounds reasonable enough to me.

4. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

5. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Interpretation of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act (1988) aside; look at it from the commercial perspective; i.e. from the point of view of those who pay for this resource (and how they raise funds to do so).

As there are (admittedly pay-for) solutions (back issues, Old Timers, etc) available, is it really surprising your proposal has been frowned upon. Would you really expect a business to advocate a work-round that, potentially, reduces sales revenue. :D

6. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

IIRC, the 'education' aspect is if a small portion of the work is to be used for research or private study for somebody in full-time education. It doesn't apply to somebody wanting to get paid-for information on the cheap. I wanted the AP review of the 5D before I bought one last year and bought a reprint from OldTimer - it didn't cost a lot, arrived very promptly and didn't defraud anybody of their intellectual property or wages.