1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Cool' Cameras

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by demonboy, May 22, 2012.

1. demonboy

demonboy Well-Known Member

I'm looking to do a little piece on 'cool' cameras and wanted your ideas on what you classify as a cool camera. It can be analogue or digital, old or new, 35mm or other. It has to be a bit of a performer but with an emphasis on its design or street credibility.

Any suggestions?

2. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

If you ask a young hipster on his fixed wheel bike with his rolled up chinos and espadrilles. He will tell you a lomo or a holga.

3. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I still think the x100 is pretty cool. But the coolest cat on the block is always going to be a Lieca M Dig or Analogue.

4. demonboy

Well, that's what I'd have thought, rjbell, but you ask a medium format photographer and they'll start listing the weirdest and most wonderful looking cameras!

Would you say the X100 is cooler than the X-Pro 1?

5. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

How about the Olympus XA Jamie?It always amazes me how a 35mm cassette fits in that tiny camera.
    I love mine and use it regularly.

6. demonboy

Good choice, Dave. I've been eyeing the XA up for a while, hoping to grab one off ebay for £30 or so. No chance! Those babies can go for £100 or more! How do you find the focusing on such a small camera, Dave?

7. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Yeah i think so. It's little smaller and prettier not to mention half the price.

8. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

There can be only one, Leica M3. Thing of legends.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Waaaaaay cooler than an M3 is a Rolleiflex. I know that for certain because hardly anybody came up to me when I was using my M3 and told me it was cool, whereas people almost always do with a Rollei, more or less whichever model. Much though I loved my M3, I think my IIIf is cooler than it as far as Leicas go - it just looks better.

10. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

Rolleiflex is very cool

11. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Fuji DL SuperMini (I wish I still had my Zoom Titanium)

12. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

On mine the yellow RF mark you see through the VF has faded making RF focusing hard to see.I overcame that by putting a tiny marker pen dot in the middle of the VF window.

The VF window is small but I don`t have any problem with it.Maybe someone with large hands would struggle though.The Zuico lens is superb.

BTW I paid £100 SH for mine 20 years ago in Jessops.

13. demonboy

Thanks for the Rollei suggestion. I know they look cool, and this question is now off-topic, but what are they like to actually use? They look fiddly!

14. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

There are a lot of special purpose cameras which are definitely cool, they chill the sensor & electronics in order to reduce noise. An example here - runs at 40C below ambient which is definitely way cool ;-)

15. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Some of them are fiddly, but the better ones are remarkably simple as long as you hold it in your left hand - and can get used to looking down at the finder!

16. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

... not to mention coping with the laterally reversed image in the finder.

17. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Probably off topic but I always find Rollei people shops disconcerting as there tends to be an overemphasis of waistlines

Roger

18. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No, the Rollei is as common as muck ... cool is a Contaflex :)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I quite agree - I've always wanted one.

20. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member