1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continuous lighting for video...

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Geren, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I'm doing a fair bit of 'cookery' video stuff at the moment (in a tiny kitchen) and basically using a hodge podge of lighting including the modelling light on my bowens studio flash heads with a softbox. This is fine until it decides to power down mid-shoot but it does also take up a lot of room in use. I'm considering getting some continuous lighting but space is an issue = both when shooting these videos and in terms of storing the things when not in use. Has anyone used the rotolight neo 2 models? On paper they seem to be what I'm looking for but I"m wondering how much spread you get from one light and if I'll actually need to buy several? Any thoughts on other brands/models?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Assuming we are talking about the same thing, I bought the 3-light kit for my wife for christmas two (maybe three) years ago, she was doing some table-top photography at the time, but she has never used it. I got it out of the box and set 2 lights up to try them out for portraiture but the grandchildren wouldn’t cooperate. My impression from then was that the lights were impressively bright but I couldn’t say anything about the spread from memory. I could rig one up and take some light meter readings if that helps. The stands that come with the kit are flimsy. The pele case is good!

3. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

4. Stephen Rundle

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Thanks Pete - I think we are talking about the same thing because I looked at the three light kit. I can't afford it and suspect the case it comes in would take up more space in this flat than I want in anycase. It's not a cheap option but I've quite often found that when talking about kit, buying cheap isn't necessarily a good investment. Some birthday money from an aunt and a VERY generous friend would cover the cost of one light. I have stands here with the right size screw on top so wouldn't need to buy those. I'm just not sure if one light on the camera or on a stand is going to be 'enough' to give me the same kind of effect as my large softbox. I do like the compact size of the light, the fact that you can configure the colour balance and the possible opportunity to expand its use for HSS flash later. Maybe more research required.

Catriona likes this.
  6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, it wasn't cheap - I think I paid around £1500 with a Sony flash transmitter thrown in (my wife uses a Sony Bridge camera). I'd expect the light to be more directional than you'd get from a large soft box. On paper the specs are very good. I've noticed that, although AP has carried their adverts for a long time, they tend to focus on the larger lights and the Neo 2's seem less mentioned.

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So this won't help, but after never hearing of this brand at all, on arriving in Nottingham I've now seen three of the small ones for sale in two different CEX stores. As I say, doesn't help, just odd coincidence.

Geren likes this.
  8. Stephen Rundle

I did a 30 page A4 glossy recipe book for Age UK funded by the National lottery for them and a video every Image1.jpg Image2.jpg Image1.jpg Image2.jpg one of my shots was natural light which I prefer.

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That looks like it was a tremendous project! The stills/videos I'm doing are for an 'exotic meat' supplier - so buffalo burgers, caribbean goat and the like. They want vids to drive people to their website where they can order the recipe pack with all ingredients or just buy the meat and do their own thing. Not sure I can share here as they are commercial but they have been fun to do. I just think LED lights will be less erm, sweaty to work under and hopefully give me a bit more room to manoeuvre.

10. Stephen Rundle

It is fun doing something you have never done before and daunting

11. EightBitTony

Worth a shot at renting to test? Even more expense, but might help in the long term?

https://www.hireacamera.com/en-gb/products/HAC00-04377-rotolight-neo-ii-head/

https://rental.wexphotovideo.com/hire-rotolight-neo-bi-colour-led-5916

Geren likes this.
  12. EightBitTony

Wex have a pickup/drop-off point for rental in Glasgow.

Geren likes this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Never thought about renting but it's a good idea. However my impatience got the better of me and I have now purchased a set of two Neewer LED light panels. I'm pretty pleased with them. At half the price of the Rotolights, they have a U-shaped bracket which means they can be positioned for pitch and yaw to borrow Navy terms but they also can be used on a tabletop; they came with stands included and they are RGB which means I can change the colour without recourse to filters. I do really need both but as they are so much smaller than the Bowens flash with softbox it's not really an issue. It was a vast improvement in terms of having space to work so I was really pleased.

EightBitTony and Catriona like this.
  14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Oh, forgot to add, I did my usual and found someone selling a 'brand new but box has been opened' version so saved myself a wee bit extra on top!

EightBitTony likes this.