1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Contiguous Numbers

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Sep 6, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

2. EightBitTony

3. EightBitTony

Catriona likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

That little black sliver is annoying me now.

5. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Just been on your Flickr or insta account and saw number 3 is the ‘Christian duplicating service’ and was wondering if I can send our vicar to be duplicated? He is so busy at the moment I am sure he could do with an extra pair of hands. :rolleyes: Don

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. EightBitTony

#123 was a complete pain in the proverbial.

Took ages to find one, and then found three in quick succession, the first one was in Cleethorpes of all places, after having scoured Nottingham for one in my usual haunts. Then today, before posting the Cleethorpes one, I found two of them hiding in Nottingham (and one of them I like better so I used that one).

#124 was always going to be cast iron.

[​IMG]#123 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

[​IMG]#124 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

Dan S likes this.
  7. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

You have been saving 124 since day one haven’t you :):rolleyes:

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Check your cast-iron pics - you may also have a 125 - in the form of 'B125', a test level mark.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You might even get both numbers in one shot of a ductile cast iron manhole cover.
    BS-EN124 B125

10. EightBitTony

Worth refreshing the 'rules' of this project.

- the numbers have to be shot in sequence (i.e. can't go shooting #23 before #18 even if the #23 is an excellent example).

So previously shot out of sequence #125's don't count

- can't shoot the same number source twice in a row (no walking up a road, shooting door numbers one after another).

So using #124 and #125 from the same source (i.e. utility / manhole covers) isn't allowed either.

- as many different sources as possible.

Generally try to find diverse sources, although I've pretty much shot every public source of a number now.

Shooting numbers is easy, compiling them afterwards in sequence is easy, the only reason this project is hard, challenging and in some cases, worthwhile to me is that I have to shoot the numbers in sequence.

i.e. every number in this project is shot after the number that precedes it, sometimes by minutes, sometimes weeks and in the odd case, months.

Dan S likes this.
  11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

In that case, keep your eye out for learner motorcycles - they are usually 125cc and often have 125 written on them somewhere...

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Well you can't use #123 again when you get to 8368:p

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. EightBitTony

Well, I shot a #125 ages ago in my local town, and then a #126 in Nottingham. I've been looking for a #127 for ages (when I'm allowed out, and have the mental energy, i.e. not since November), and then when I went and looked I discovered that my #125 wasn't #125, but was something like #12583. I had assume the 8 was an S (with those spray on letter template styles), because most lamp-post numbers have 3 digits, a letter, and then one or more numbers.

So a dilemma, did I leave it, in the moment, wrong, but part of the art, or did I go back and restart from #125.

I seriously considered leaving it, but I couldn't, so today I managed to find a #125, new #126 and finally a #127.

[​IMG]#125 by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]#126 by Tony Evans, on Flickr
    [​IMG]#127 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

steveandthedogs and ascu75 like this.
  14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hats off to integrity!

ascu75 and EightBitTony like this.
  15. EightBitTony

The whole project only works (for me) if I keep that integrity, it would be trivial to 'fake it', so the enforced 'must be shot in sequence' is the only thing that lifts this above 'a collection of number photographs', so I may as well stick to it :)

ascu75 and RovingMike like this.
  16. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

All credit to you Tony, now you can do another project counting down from say one hundred and ninety nine. :rolleyes: I have loved your dedication to the project and admired our tenacity. This just proves that you are good at it. I would give you a thumbs up but our emojis don’t offer them. More than one way to skin a cat 3EA3241C-68CE-45C7-872D-F4DD5DFEF1B0.png

EightBitTony likes this.
  17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Good spot on 126.

Do you always take them in order or save say a 136 for the future? Sounds very much like the former.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Tony. I've got a potential 127,128 and 129. They are south of the river. In supposedly posh West Bridgford. If they count I will willingly meet-up with you at the Poppy and Pint, after lockdown and buy you a beer. I still won't agree with you politically I will probe you for advice on 'Street'.
    I will meet up with you anyway at that location. From there I can get to the station for a pee, and then home on the Keyworth connection before bursting. I hope.

dream_police likes this.
  19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Can't be that posh. My daughter lives there!

I have only been there a couple of times since she moved there last August, owing to lockdown, but the town looks quite nice TBF of what I saw of it.

20. EightBitTony

I take them in order, it's the only point of the whole exercise. So every single image is taken after the one that precedes it.

ascu75 and Bazarchie like this.