1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering Purchasing A Canon 6D

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Bipolar, May 16, 2018.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Well-Known Member

I am curious about the Canon 6D the first version not the mark 2. I see one on sale for a good price.
    Right now I have a Canon 40D and a 50D. The 50D gets the most use.
    I have a Canon 24-105 f4Lis a Canon 40mm pancake lens a Canon 10-22efs lens and a 70-200f4Lis lens.

I would be interested in hearing the opinions of people that own the Canon 6d.

Thanks!
    Bipolar

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

My son has one and is very pleased with it. The 24-105 and 70-200 will work well with it.

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So does the pancake.
    I use one professionally - very capable camera indeed.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I bought a Canon 600D and enjoyed it. I took redundancy from work, and bought a 7D2 new at the time, and felt that I was making the right choice to go for a crop sensor.

I love the 7D2, it's a hugely capable camera, amazing features, fast, excellent image quality.

I had an increased hankering to see what the full frame fuss was about - and once the 6D2 was announced I knew I was in with a shot, because 6D prices would drop.

A few months ago, I bought a second-hand 6D. My view of it is tempered by my 7D2 experience. The 7D2 has loads of focus points, great AF system, fast frames per second, writes to the card very quickly, has two card slots, and is pretty big. It's not great in low light.

People told me the 6D would feel big, but it's about the same size as the 7D2. You might find it a little bigger than your 40 or 50D's, but not much. The image quality is great, and that full frame view is a great experience. I've never shot any 35mm SLR or DSLR, so I'm not used to that view, but for some reason it does feel immediately more natural than the crop view of the 600D / 7D2. I can't explain why.

I hate the AF. Compared to the 7D2 it's slow, not as accurate, far fewer points, less precise and less 'sure' on those points (especially away from the centre). Compared to the 40D/50D you might not find the difference as great as I did.

It only has one card slot which makes me nervous. That bokeh is _delicious_. The low light handling is just, mindblowing. I know people talk about it, and for an 'entry level' full frame it punches so high above its class it's almost criminal. I took and posted some images at 12800 ISO recently. 12800! That would make my 7D2 weep (and they would be tears of ISO noise and loss of detail).

Overall, I'm really pleased I got the 6D. If I'd had the money, I would have gone for a 5D3, and if you can stretch to a 5D3 I suggest you do so, but if you can't, then the 6D is great.

RogerMac likes this.
  5. Bipolar

I just completed the order for a 6D. It should be here on time for my next trip to Haida Gwaii.

6. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

New Westminster to Haida Gwaii takes 27 hours or 1,700.8 kilometers (1,056.8 miles).

I too use my 24mm pancake for my everyday lens along with my EOS 40D.

7. Bipolar

Terrace to Haida Gwaii is 11 3/4 hours. 1 3/4 hours driving time 2 hours waiting to board the ferry and 8 hours crossing Hecate Straight.

8. Bipolar

Reading Material for the wait for the ferry.

[​IMG]

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I guess that will make the trip feel longer.

10. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

Sorry Bipolar Google Map got the travel time wrong.

11. Bipolar

I am working out of town for a few days. I get to make the 150km drive home Friday afternoon.
    The postman delivered the camera today. I can't wait to try it out.

Bipolar

EightBitTony likes this.
  12. Rolex1601

Rolex1601 Active Member

Congratulations Bipolar looking forward to seeing the results.

13. Bipolar

I got home yesterday afternoon. Unboxed the camera and charged both batteries.
    And decided which lens to start with a 24-105 f4. I will get out and test it after work today.
    [​IMG]

EightBitTony likes this.
  14. EightBitTony

Good combo :)

2018-05-26 16.58.11.jpg

RogerMac likes this.
  15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Lovely camera but I don't like the strap - so I bought a much nicer on and kept the original unused

16. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

How do you find your 6D Tony compared with your 7Dii?

The 6D price on the used market seems to be dropping very quickly. Having tried RogerMac's camera I am tempted to buy one for its low light performance.

17. EightBitTony

I use Joby wrist straps. And I've 'real world' tested the one on the 6D because I knocked it out of my hand while I was out walking, and the strap worked perfectly.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joby-DSLR-Wrist-Strap-Charcoal/dp/B00F5JH9FU

RogerMac likes this.
  18. EightBitTony

Compared to the 7D2, the AF is annoying, and number of focus points is annoying, the lack of dual cards is annoying, the small buffer and slow shot rate are annoying.

The sensor however, is frankly incredible. The FF field of view is nice, and the fact that I can a) shoot indoors with lower ISO than the 7D2 and b) shoot at 12,800 ISO and still get shots is essentially miraculous.

I love the 7D2, I'm going to go back to using it in anger real soon now, but I've not used anything other than the 6D since I bought it (but the AF and focus points are beginning to annoy me).

King Kenny and Bazarchie like this.
  19. EightBitTony

So I just went out with the 7D2 after 3 months of using the 6D.

The 7D2 is much heavier than I remember, noticeably heavier then the 6D. I got used to it pretty quickly, but if weight is a real concern, the 7D2 is very heavy (probably in-line with the 5D3, but I've not checked the specs). The 7D2 is a little larger in the hand as well.

The 7D2 is a better camera. It's better in almost every regard. Controls are easier, it's more responsive (better AF, faster response on the shutter, longer buffer, faster FPS), the choice of focal point is vastly better, those focal points are more accurate more quickly. The only place it's not a better camera is the resulting image and the low light performance. Both cameras produce fantastic images and the 6D is just phenomenal in low light. But as a camera to use, and to exploit and to manipulate, the 7D2 is better all around.

I wouldn't give up my 6D and I really happy I got one. I love the FF view, and the extra stop or so of ISO performance in the same light, and the insane ability to shoot at 12,800 ISO and not hate the results, but equally, I wouldn't give up my 7D2 either.

NB: My 7D2 also shoots about a third or two thirds of a stop more exposed in the same situations as the 6D. Which means it clips bright skies more often than the 6D, so I've had to start using -1/3rd or -2/3rds compensation on the 7D2.

20. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member