1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion?

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Jefffers, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Jefffers

Jefffers Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    W.--Confusion by jejjersphoto, on Flickr

Newhaven Marina and the front end of a friend's yacht. How they sort all this lot out I don't know, but I thought it made a nice contrast of textures in the evening sunlight

2. luisport

luisport Well-Known Member

Much too clustered, IMPO.

3. Serge1975

Serge1975 Well-Known Member

Agree with Luis - a bit messy. Closer look to one of those elements might be better.

4. Jefffers

That's why it's called confusing. :)
    Trying to upload a sharpened version - forgot to do it before last post[​IMG]
    W.--Confusion--2 by jejjersphoto, on Flickr

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is confusing, that is the problem, there is nothing that stands out from the melee for the eye to lock on.

6. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

I'll poke my neck out and say whoa! The entire intent was to express the chaos, or possibly assemble a case for keel hauling a junior rating. It succeeds, and a picture with chaos rules (ie; no rules), when done well is valid; may not be comfy to watch but that's not what was meant, it ain't a still life study.

By the way, what time is the flogging round the fleet set for?

7. Caulkhead

Caulkhead Well-Known Member

Too late! Looking across the Solent to Pompey it seems to me that the fleet has already been flogged by this government!:(

8. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

we can always borrow a French carrier - doesn't matter what, we have no planes for it anyway.
    Sorry for the hijack Jeffers neither of us could resist and I claim precedence 'cos I liked your picture.....

9. Jefffers

Heard some advice to those who lose their jobs at Pompey - move to Scotland and vote for Scottish independence and, when that happens, move back to Portsmouth as building will have to start there again!
    Seriously, a sad day for the skilled workforce.

Geoff

10. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I like it. OK it's very messy and confused but then that's what it's all about. On top of that the light and the textures are delightful. It may never win any awards but it's a fine record of a real scene.

:cool:

PS I'm surprised the boat hasn't gone down bow first with that lot hanging off the front...

11. mcgoo

mcgoo Member

I'm no expert but I really like this. The fact that it is confusing to me and that it must be logical and orderly to someone who knows what it all is and what it all does, is the essence of the picture I think, and it captures it well. And, I like the textures of the rope and the woods. Nice shot :)

Mick \o/

12. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

I'm the first to dislike randomness but this works for me. I really like the pseudo-chaos of this one, the scatty and all-over-shop feeling is really nice. Some lovely tones from the mixture of wood and painted metal. I don't think it's one to print and mount by itself but I think if it was mixed in with a few other nautical themed shots for some purpose, I think it could work.

I keep looking and it's like one those finding puzzles, I keep seeing new points of interest! ;)

13. Jefffers

PS I'm surprised the boat hasn't gone down bow first with that lot hanging off the front...[/QUOTE]

Was offered a trip to Dieppe on this boat, but I had the same doubts and found an excuse to be elsewhere!!

Geoff

14. Rustyknight

Rustyknight Well-Known Member

Going from the pic, there's no reason to suppose the boat isn't up to it, as it's only the bowsprit and it's components that have been shipped inboard for harbour/marina mooring.

Mind you, as the boat itself is most likely wood, there's always the chance a pic of the whole could show it to be as ripe as a fruitcake..... :eek:

15. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

anyone who shackles a shackle to a shackle with another thru' them is perhaps a purveyor of "Jimmy rigging".
    and the shock cord bungee in back is icing on t'cake.

I agree with Jeffers, sail only with folk who are careful, 'ship-shape & Bristol fashion' seems a sound idea!