1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computerisd marriage guidance

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RogerMac, Oct 27, 2020.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Self
    Alexa could you tell my wife I love her?

Alexa
    I could but it would be much better coming from you!

Terrywoodenpic and Fen like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Obviously built in a sense of self-preservation.

RogerMac likes this.
  3. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Well some months ago I asked Google, ' Find me a new Wife' , to which it replied,' I can't do that, but here is a boyfriend dating site. Yes, that really happened.

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Hopefully, Google isn't also sending you links to wife-swapping websites?

5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

What have you done??

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Nothing exciting I am afraid, we were just testing a new toy and Gill asked for "Leaving of Liverpool" (she comes from Liverpool) and I asked for some Valerie Masterson (another Liverpudlian) when I decided to try it on some text and that was the result!

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Alexa, who was that man who just left the house?
    The man who just left the house was the best lover I've ever had and will be back same time tomorrow...

RovingMike and Catriona like this.
  8. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I am surprised that members of this forum voluntarily allow an eavesdropper into their homes. We have no idea who's listening, nor what use information gleaned may be put to.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

A very good and valid point. I wouldn't have any of these devices and I have Siri turned off, and denied access to the microphone, on all my Apple devices. Microsoft's equivalent is also similarly constrained. I live in a relatively small house, I don't feel lazy enough to need voice control of my lights etc.

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I really don't think it is recording or eavesdropping until I turn it on by the use of the wake word, which turns it on. If the device is not connected to the internet and the wake word is used, it will still turn on and let you know it isn't connected to the internet. From that one can assume that it doesn't need the web to activate itself it is just a voice commanded on switch. From a realsitic point of view, I really can't think it will be downloading everything that I say throghout the day.

11. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

If just a small fraction of users were listened to by an AI enabled system, the amount of useful data could be very high, so whilst what you've said is sort-of encouraging, I wouldn't trust it. The benign systems in place today, could easily be taken over by more sinister forces. I guess my main worry is the continuous advancement of computerised AI - which doesn't get tired ...

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Mine isn’t in my house. It is 260 miles away, installed for the patchy benefit of my mother and her carers who play 40’s and 50’s music on it. They could vastly improve the remote management of Alexa. They assume you have a modern enough smartphone to run the app and that you are in the same room as the box while doing so. It is pretty limited what you can do with the web app, which has recently decided that it would rather install a new device than talk to the one it’s supposed to.

13. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

We have three devices throughout the house and the only thing I am concerned by is people worried about sinister forces. :eek::rolleyes::) Our friends son has similar concerns yet games all day with strangers worldwide using headphones etc.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

There have been (more than likely by the tinfoil hat folk) reports of people saying that they have had directed advertising from Amazon picked up from random conversations in front of Alexa. (not web searching). A friend has been talking about random stuff for months now about what he wants to buy (stuff that he doesn't nor will ever search for) in front of his Alexa. Not had any indications that it is listening. I have been doing it on and off since he told me in July. Again, nothing.