1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer file management question

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by NickM, Jan 19, 2020.

1. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Had an 1100D seven years ago which I got rid of 2/3 years ago but have had the same computer all along.
    Bought another 1100D in December and while the EOS Utility2 saves every photo in folders under the date, I'm guessing it's saving them under continued IMG numbers from the 1100D I had before.

My question is, if I get another 1100D to use alongside the current one is there any way to stop Utility from dumping both cameras photos into the same date folder?
    It'd be nice to be able to upload photos from body 2 and for them to go into a folder for body 2 not the current date folder for all cameras but I note Preferences applies changes to anything Utlity2 sees and can't differentiate between bodies.

How do others manage with having two Canons but using Utility?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Eos utility keeps the file name the camera sets, it doesn’t rename. The default prefix is IMG - you can change what the camera uses. I always used to reset the image count after downloading files so I have years of same named files but, because EOS utility, under the options I chose, files by date there is no mixup. I have a feeling that if a file of the same name already exists in a folder then EOS utility will add extra characters to the name and not overwrite but I’m not certain.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Open the preferences

upload_2020-1-19_21-23-40.png

Click customise.

Choose Camera Body No in one of the fields. Bingo.

upload_2020-1-19_21-24-19.png

NickM likes this.
  4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You can do this

upload_2020-1-19_21-25-50.png

or this

upload_2020-1-19_21-26-16.png

whichever you prefer

NickM likes this.
  5. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.
    Tony, that's pretty much what I wanted. Would've been nice if Canon had added the option to specify a name for camera body instead of its serial number, as the serial number's what goes on the folder.
    With identical cameras, I foresee a pair of stickers having to go on mine so I can tell which ties in with what folder...