1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Compact flash cards

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by swanseadave, Jul 11, 2019.

1. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Does anyone know of a reputable supplier of > 4 Gb capacity please CF cards please?
    7 Day Shop have just one while Premiere Ink, just a couple.
    There are plenty on Ebay but can one trust them to be genuine?

The CF cards I have are still ok but I thought it may be good to get a couple more.

Thanks,Dave

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Have you seen the price Mike? Some of the 4GB cards on Amazon are more expensive than 64GB cards from the same manufacturer, e.g. a SanDisk 4GB card advertised at £99!

The real problem is that smaller cards are becoming more expensive as larger cards become cheaper because production of requisite chips is scaled back in favour of the larger ones. There is no shortage of CF cards, just smaller ones. I use 16GB cards in the D3 bodies and these are now becoming more expensive.

Amazon will actually sell you a 256MB card for under £24.

4. swanseadave

Thank you Mike And Geoff.I`m shocked by the cost of cards these days.I`ve not bought memory cards for a couple of years.
    I thing I might get a couple of Transcend 2 or 4 Gb.
    There are some"unknown" brands there that are cheaper but I`m not going to go for them.

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

All my half-dozen or so CF cards are Transend, and they have all worked perfectly for about nine years. I doubt they'll let you down.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Never had any issues with Transcend cards, nor with Integral, PNY or Lexar. The only brands I have had problems with have been Sandisk (no not fakes) and Kingston.

7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

How about an SD-CF adapter where you slide the SD(HC/X) into the CF

8. swanseadave

I`d not thought of that David.It`s worth considering.
    I agree about Transcend cards.They are good.

I`m the sort who carefully considers before buying so I `ll cogitate before buying.
    My photography is the same,a carry over from film days.Every shot is carefully considered.I don`t think I`ve ever shot a burst.