1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comments Please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Minoltaman, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Minoltaman

Minoltaman Well-Known Member

This is my first attemp at posting a photo your comments good or bad would be very much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

I guess that it's a swan...

Maybe a tad lighter, and a whole lot sharper. Maybe there's a slight colour cast too. Tell us more about your technique.

David

3. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Yes, as David has said, it's a tad soft and there is a slight colour cast. Could well be down to equipment.( A not terribly good scanner for instance) If you give us technical details then perhaps we could give you a few pointers.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Could do with being a touch sharper and if it wasn't taken in late evening or early morning light then you have a bit of a colour cast.

Digital Shot?, scanned neg/slide/print?

I like the form of the shot though, the reflection is very effective. Swans are a bit passe these days but they're still magnificent birds so who gives a stuff about passe anyway....../img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Nigel IRIPN

I should be on Grumpy Old Men /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

5. Minoltaman

The picture is as scanned no tweaking at all. The actual photo is not as dark or soft as you say. This was taken on my ageing X300 with Sigma 35-70mm zoom.
    The scanner used is rather old - maximum dpi 600. I know it is not the best but all that I have for the moment.

I have since tweaked the Brightness of the scanned print using Paint shop pro and it makes a hell of a difference. I will repost the tweaked image this evening when I get home from work.

George

6. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Happy tweaking George. Swans and their reflections always make nice shots (although probably not the most original subject ever) and I think you have captured a nice image that just needs that bit of "tweaking" to perfect it.

BigWill

<font color=blue>I'm sailing like a driftwood on a windy bay!<font color=black>

7. Minoltaman

Now tweaked

I appreciate it is not the most original suject matter. I am hoping that with your input, I can improve on the quality of photos that I take.

Cheers

George

8. Lounge Lizard

Tweaked

<center>[​IMG]</center>

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Re: Now tweaked

It's still lacking in highlight detail, and very soft - and in a way, I preferred the old colour balance. You can't do much about the highlight detail given your scanner, but you need to have a good go at the sharpening. And you can safely ignore my comment about the colour balance!
    It's basically a nice shot. It would also benefit from a tighter crop, but not a bad start!

Nick BSRIPN
    And why not?

10. Minoltaman

Thanks to all for the advice. I will just keep trying and will post some more pictures in due course for you constructive criticism.

George

11. Lounge Lizard

12. Wilko

Wilko Well-Known Member

Re: Tweaked

Not bad considering the resolution of the scan!

Graham IRIPN