1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the Amateur Photographer magazine online community.

Why not create an account and take advantage of this free resource.

Comments please (warning, 3x BW 200k total)

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by CircleOfConfusion, Jan 27, 2006.

1. CircleOfConfusion

CircleOfConfusion Well-Known Member

Ok, got round to scanning some of my 35mm stuff, although its just scans of the 6x4's so the quality isnt great and they look a bit soft compared to the originals :(
    Just wanted to know what you guys think, I really like the peir shot, just wished I was quicker and got the lonely figure when they were closer :mad:

Bangor peir
    [​IMG]

snaking stone wall
    [​IMG]

my atempt at a macro shot
    [​IMG]

2. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

I like them. Technically they're a bit flat and lacking contrast and could do with some unsharp masking applied to them but asthetically................nice!

BigWill

3. pompeysnapper

pompeysnapper Well-Known Member

nice shots, the pier is my favourite.

what kind of animal does the eye belong to?

4. CircleOfConfusion

It belongs to felix my cat, who's often the star of many photos when its too missrible to go outside :)
    I have to admit they do look a bit soft and lacking contrast but I hope thats due to the poor quality of my scanner and not me (I really need to get photoshop too :()

5. petebarker

petebarker Member

i recognised Bangor peir. i think that thats your best photo out of the three posted hear. ime not a fan of macro work so i cant really pass jugment on your cats eye. and i think that the photo of the stone wall would have been greatly improved if you had have focused on the part of the wall nearist to the bottom of the frame.

overall though nice pictures.

pete :D

6. CircleOfConfusion

Thanks for the feedback, I think you're right about the stone wall, can't think why I didn't make sure it was in focus looking at your gallery I see you're only down the road, I've only taken my camera there once and managed to get these:

llundudno couple (904x424 - 107 K)
    llundudno sea front (904x463 - 151 K)
    the weather was a bit missreable but I'm fairly pleased with them.

(sorry they're linked but they looked far too small at 600)

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Hi there...

Not a size issue...but focus. Whats your work flow, somewhere along the line you probably need to apply a bit of unsharp mask.

Graeme

8. CircleOfConfusion

I hate to sound dumb but whats an unsharp mask :D is it just a general sharpening of the image?
    At the moment these are just scans of 6x4 prints on a fairly old flatbed scanner, then resized/croped in microsoft photo editor :eek: I will be investing in a film scanner and a copy of photoshop some time in the future but at the moment budget constraints mean its the best I can do :(

9. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

There's some software called 'Easy Thumbnails' available for free from http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php that will allow you to re-size your scans to exact dimensions (don't be misled by the 'Thumbnails' bit) and it also has a few basic controls including sharpening.

You get a preview of the final-sized image, and it will process individual images, or many at a time. You can set 'image quality' too, so generating files to the 600 pixel/ less than 100K limits for this forum is, er, a snap!

There's an item on 'unsharp masks' at http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-usm.shtml, I can't recall if Microsoft Photo Editor has this option though.

10. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

You could also peruse our very own forum moderator Chris's (SIUYA) comprehensive tutorial and link to a free sharpening tool here in our gallery:

Chris (SIUYA) explains all here!

BigWill

11. CircleOfConfusion

Thanks for the tips, the easy thumbs program certainley makes resizing a lot quicker and a lot less guess work, tried the sharp control program too which seems fairly striaght forward, although its very hard to tell how much is too much sometimes. Was looking at the website for the GIMP program, is it any good? does anyone use this instead of photoshop?

12. petebarker

petebarker Member

hey thanks for looking at my gallery.

also ime liking the two llandudno shots. personaly i think that dull weather can sometimes enhance black and white shots. out of the two i like the one with the two pepole on the jetty best.

pete :D

13. Ian_A

Ian_A Well-Known Member

It's a good alternative to Photoshop if you're on a tight budget, as it's free. It doesn't have all the features that Photoshop does, but it's quite a capable bit of software.

Can't say I like the 'look and feel' of it much, it was really designed for the Linux (hair shirt) brigade ... ;)

14. 0

0 Guest

Someone's produced a PS-like frontend to it, I believe. If I come across the link I'll post it (but don't hold your breath!).

15. 0

0 Guest

Well, anyone who doesn't use a Mac or Windoze on a PC doesn't have the choice.

16. CircleOfConfusion

doesn't sound too bad then, I just got the idea from the website that it was more about 3D maping and graphics "stuff" and not some much about photos :D I think I'll have to give it a go anyway, especialy as its free, but then of course you can get photoshop for free....

17. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

18. 0

0 Guest

Re: PS front-end for Gimp

That's the one, Chris, well spotted.

19. AJUK

AJUK Well-Known Member

Did you use Hyperfocal distance on the second one?

20. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

No, just Hypam fixer.

--------------------
    [Clever comment inserted]