1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colourfield

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Fen, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Some of you may have seen my Colourfield Photographs from last year, inspired by the Colorfield Paintings of Mark Rothko and Barnett Newman.

This is Earl’s Court 12:09hrs

[​IMG]

If you didn't, have a look on my website for more information and images from the series:
    http://www.fenris.co.uk/colourfield/

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Just to add...

This is a photograph :)

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Love it. The best Earls Court has looked for a long time. :)

I know someone here on my Island who does wonderful woven wall hangings in the same style. I love them too.

Kate

4. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I'll second that.

5. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I will repeat what I think I said last year - there is no way this can be construed as Earls Court in London, there is no definition at all and it is just a series of coloured lines, with no meaning. OK it may be seen as relevant/fashionable by the arty-farty set, but as a photograph it means nothing. Any picture can have motion blur applied and come up with something similar.

My picture of The Shard from under Westminster Bridge may be a case in point

[​IMG]

Sorry, Fen, but a reminder of this style was not necessary:p

6. Roy5051

As a matter on (dis)interest, here is a picture taken from my bedroom window with a Panasonic G3 and Holga 25mm Lens, given the full motion blur treatment. At least you can see that it is green grass and some sky, with even the suggestion of undulating ground.

[​IMG]

And to be honest, it is rubbish; anybody want an A3 print?

7. Roy5051

Oh, and here is one of my Wife and Grandson

[​IMG]

Have you seen enough now?

8. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

May I suggest that you go and read about the Abstract Expressionism art movement of the 1950s and 1960s?

In particular Barnett Newman and Mark Rothko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnett_Newman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rothko

Perhaps even some Ad Reinhardt:

http://www.moma.org/collection/brow...4856&page_number=1&template_id=6&sort_order=1

The Museum Of Modern Art is quite a good resource, you may want to have a look around their website:
    http://www.moma.org/collection/theme.php?theme_id=10051

I haven't the foggiest idea of what is relevant or fashionable with the arty-farty set. But please don't write it off as nothing!

One could always say that 'chocolate/biscuit box' images of the countryside are so old-hat and boring that they have no meaning as a photograph either. And yet I think the work of Derek Forss is quite beautiful even though he is often slagged off as a biscuit box photographer.

http://www.derekforss.com/

I am not out to create a photographic record of the places I am photographing. I am trying to produce something that captures the light and mood of a location in a new (and perhaps interesting) manner using the ideas and forms of an art movement that was in the majority a painting/drawing art movement. A piece of 'Art' for want of a better word.

This isn't just a production of 'photoshop' and 'motion blur'. Aspects of the work are done in camera as well as in the production.

Also many months of trail and error and even longer in researching the art movement and the artists work.

Then why did you view and comment with basically what you said last time in a hostile manner?

I'm sorry to say this Roy, you're a nice enough chap... but if you don't like it and can't be constructive with your criticism or at least be prepared to listen to alternative viewpoint rather than just your own, then please keep it to yourself!

If we all reacted as hostile as you have then we wouldn't of moved on from paintings on cave walls, let alone moved on from film to digital.

You've really saddened me :(

9. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Roy.

I find your manner and your actions offensive and downright rude and childish. I thought you were a better person than that.

I will be reporting you to the Moderators.

10. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Fen- this is what we have to put up with from the mass of blinker-wearing photographers. For me, the reaction of other artists - painters, sculptors etc.- is far more interesting, important and relevant to what I'm trying to do than that of other photographers. My impression is that a lot of photographers have a technique check-list. Today camera movement, tomorrow playing with zoom effects etc. etc.- tick the boxes, been there, done that. They never take the time, or perhaps don't have the interest in exploring the possibilities of the various techniques. Harsh, but that's the way it is.

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Fen, I think you can safely ignore such ridiculous comments. They say that it's better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt, and I think in this case, the matter is now beyond any reasonable doubt. It's one thing not to like something and say so, and quite another to behave like that.

The ironic thing is that some of the pics he's posted are IMVHO far and away more interesting than anything else he's ever posted here.

12. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Not my thing either but an absolutely uncalled for reaction Roy. I'm a little taken aback by it actually.
    For what my humble opinion is worth I normally don't give this kind of thing a second look, but I actually like this one. Amongst all the blur are some crisp lines which kind of make the difference for me. Maybe I should get my head out of the sand and have a look at some more of this kind of work.

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

I think what Roy had to say in respect of Fen' image is regrettable, but I'm not sure it was meant to be heartless and savage, at least I hope not. And perhaps, on reflection, Roy might wish to temper his observations with a better choice of words. I have to echo what Nick says about Roy's images - ostensibly offered to prove a point. Once again, I consider Fen's image to be worthwhile, beautifully executed and of genuine merit. Recently I have been giving greater attention to images taken with ICM (intentional camera movement) having viewed some stuff that has really grabbed my attention. But finally, let's have a more considered and conciliatory reply from Roy, please.

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

In camera movement is a fascinating subject and done with sensitivity can produce completely new views of familiar subjects.
    I have also tried moving the object with surprisingly good results. It's worth a try. :)

Kate

15. Roy5051

Oh dear! I seem to have upset a few people! Having read my posts again, I cannot see how anything I said can be construed as rude or inoffensive, just a different point of view - I was merely stating an opinion that this type of picture has little or nothing to do with photography as I see it. I believe that a photograph should represent something that has been/could have been seen by the photographer and there is no way that a mixture of coloured horizontal lines, however artistic they may appear, can be construed as photography.

Nick, just because my opinions are different from yours, does not necessarily make them ridiculous, they are, after all, merely an opinion.

Fen, I am a great admirer of your photography in general, and I am sorry if you think my comments were hostile, but there is no need to throw your toys out of the pram with your final comments. Whilst I find it difficult to accept your picture as being serious, all opinions, for or against, should be accepted.

My last two postings were, I must admit, rather tongue-in-cheek, and maybe should not have been posted; I do rather like the Holga one, though:)

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Absolutely true in general, Roy, but when opinions are expressed in such an unpleasant manner they are indeed necessarily ridiculous, and certainly not worthy of Fen's consideration. Even saying you don't like the stuff doesn't add to what he already knows, given you've expressed your opinion in the past, but you really have made an ass of yourself this time, especially given this is the Exhibition Lounge.

17. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

To be honest, this kind of thing isn't really my cup of tea either. But if Fen likes making them, and some others like looking at them, why not?

I made an unintentional camera movement shot the other day, which actually makes an effect that I find somewhat pleasing. I'll try to get around to posting it, possibly in the Appraisal Gallery, soon.

18. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

As a photo, many won't see the point, but the picture is there. Doing the research and actually getting the image right is 90% of the satisfaction! and as an image it would fit well on a wall. That doesn't mean one has to ponder it's hidden meaning, try to figure out the technique or anything else; I have taken plenty of images that are designed as nothing more than an abstract background.
    one other point, is that images like this are very commercial. A picture that doesn't need any interpretation, has no definite subject, and is pleasant on the eye can be quite restful.
    And Fen, don't worry about Arty Farty people, they tend to have deep pockets; whether they simply like an image or want to ponder the universe hidden within is up to them, as long as some of their cash is forthcoming.;)

19. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

That seems an incredibly narrow definition.

Photography is (I think by definition, though I can't be bothered to google an on-line dictionary) just about recording light on some kind of photosensitive medium. Where that light comes from, or what form the resultant image takes is irrelevant.

What Fen is doing here is stretching the boundaries of what can be captured. Anyone (well most people) could simply record what is in front of them. It takes creative vision to think "if I take this and do this I'll get this".

It seems a noble pursuit to me, and it is completely incidental that the result is visualy pleasing to me.

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's not just a question of the technique, it's also a question of what you do with it, stretching limitations etc., and of course your own imagination. To say nothing of the fantasy of those looking at such pictures. I also take totally abstract photos and people have told me that they really enjoy trying to imagine what I've photographed, and/or what they feel is actually going on in the pictures.

As a certain JC might have put it,"Cast off your blinkers and see!"