1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour workspace/Photoshop help

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Panda_, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Panda_

Panda_ Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Had taken a little break from photography and editing for quite a while and I'm getting a little frustrated by the output of my images from Photoshop at the moment.
    The JPG/TIFF files both seem to lack the quality and colour that photoshop (CC) is showing me when editing the RAW files, so I'm assuming that one of my settings are incorrect at the moment?

Right now in photoshop I'm using the Adobe RGB profile under Edit > Assign profile, Image mode is on RGB colour and 8-bit and my colour settings are as follow:

[​IMG]

Granted, my monitor isn't suited for image editing (Benq xl2411z, default ICC on standard mode.) but how can I try get my images to be the same after saving? Some of them have came out much darker afterwards, a good example would be this picture here, the right side of the image is close to black for me, while editing it was all OK

[​IMG]

In short, what should I be looking at to ensure I get the best out of my images when saving them in photoshop? :)

Ta!

2. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

If you are mainly viewing your images on a computer monitor, then forget about Adobe RGB.

Shoot in Raw (which is not constrained by any colour space or affected by your camera settings) and process in sRGB which has a more restricted gamut than Adobe RGB but is closer to what your monitor is capable of displaying.

Many of the experts (of which I am not one) recommend sRGB for all normal photographic purposes. If you are a member of the RPS Digital Imaging Group have a look at the very useful article "Colour Profiles and Workspaces" by John Lewis in the 2015 Issue 1 edition of DIGIT magazine. It is, by far, the best and most understandable explanation of this complex subject that I have ever read.

Eric

3. Panda_

Panda_ Well-Known Member

Cheers for the reply.
    I've switched everything over to sRGB now and had a quick read over this article on the subject too. Eventually I'll be printing my photos out for my first exhibition next year, so I'd be getting a bunch done at some point (though in small first to check quality/colour).

Unfortunately I'm not a member of the RPS, but I'll try find some articles on the subject and read a bit more into it :)

A friend just checked the sample image on his monitor and noticed the histogram was a little off when comparing (leaning more to the blacks in mine) so a little push in the shadows already improved it tenfold. I guess until I get a decent IPS monitor will just have to keep checking the pictures and making fine adjustments after saving!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If you want consistent colour results when editing then you should profile your monitor, set the brightness and do your editing in a consistently lit environment. This makes a big difference even for a laptop screen.

If Photoshop lets you choose a working space then well and good. If working in JPG use the one the camera is set in (default sRGB). If photoshop is like Lightroom which has its own colour working space and you want output in sRGB or abobe RGB or to print then there is a softproof option that lets you check what the converted image will look like.

5. Panda_

Panda_ Well-Known Member

The first part I'm pretty much all set on, but when I went back over my ICC profile in colour management it was set as the Benq default. Changing this to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and setting it has default seems to have helped me out quite a bit. At least for now my pictures edited in photoshop and saved to jpeg for example were consistent just now so I'm hoping everything is OK now!!!

I always shoot in RAW anyway, but was baffled why after saving my work it came out like this.
    Cheers for the help and will keep the softproofing in mind :)

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I had a similar thing when I moved to Lightroom. In Canon Software (DPP) you set your colour working space. I was working on a laptop, bought a wide(ish) gamut external monitor, a printer and a spyder 3 pro calibration kit. I got a little into understanding colour management and ICC profiles etc. and it was a clear difference between choice of workspace and appearence on laptop (not quite sRGB) and the external monitor (not quite aRGB) and in the appearence of files according to embedded profiles and different colour aware browsers. Then when I got Lightroom I was a bit annoyed that there was one workspace and that after you had everything adjusted nicely there was still the potential for the results to not look right when put on-line or printed out. In practice it isn't so bad. I use my Flickr pages more as a personal index than anything so I just convert to sRGB, downsize and publish from Lightroom without worrying too much. I check for out of gamut warnings by softproofing before I print anything but rarely do I have to make a proof copy and mess about trying to match what I had before.

7. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

There should be no need to assign a profile in Photoshop. If it happens to be a different profile to the one the image was originally edited in, you'll drastically alter the colour by doing this. Photoshop automatically recognises the embedded profile of an image straight out of Lightroom, regardless of what colour space it is in; it doesn't need to match the RGB working space you've chosen in Photoshop's Colour Settings (a common misconception). Use 'Convert to Profile' if you need to export in a different colour space - this preserves colour as much as possible, whereas 'Assign Profile' does not.

The only time you'd normally need to assign a profile is when there is none embedded in the image file you're opening - then there is no way for Photoshop to know what the original profile was.

Most browsers can handle a photo in Adobe RGB nowadays provided the profile is embedded in the image file.

Finally, you'd be better off switching RGB 'Colour Management Policies' to 'Preserve Embedded Profiles'.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015