1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffee

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger_Provins, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

My eldest son sometimes comes to us on a visit and stays over night and he’s a right old grumpy when he first gets up until he had his first coffee. What is it in coffee that some people need to get going in the mornings?

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Not having to speak to the cheery early riser?

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The major 'drug' in coffee is caffeine, a stimulant. How much coffee does he drink during the day? He may be suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Of course, if he is drinking enough of the stuff to get that effect, it can't be doing his heart much good either.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  4. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

And if you have tea instead, it's just the same!

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  5. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

6. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Me
    Morning
    No Talk
    No Think
    Just do stuff
    Need Coffee
    Morning people please bugger off
    My Brain Hurts

7. Jeff Farkas

Jeff Farkas Well-Known Member

I'm just about the same. With the exception I have two cats that need my attention. Oh and I consume Coke a Cola and not coffee.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Self-confessed caffeine addict here. I need at least two very strong black coffees before I can tolerate other people in the morning. After my husband was made redundant I discovered that he's a 'Morning Talker'. That was unexpected and unwelcome.

I used to drink a lot more coffee when I smoked but having given up I now get by quite nicely with about six cups all taken between 6am and 2pm. Any coffee after 4pm keeps me awake too long at night.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

OK in moderation.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

But a lot less tannin. You can tell you have a real cup of tea if your body shudders at the first sip. In the old days, before the invention of vending machines, real tea came from an urn pushed around the office by the tea lady. You could really taste the dissolved aluminium.

For unknown reasons The Times newspaper has been having a go at tea making in the US of A. It advises anyone accustomed to an English cuppa to politely refuse if offered tea to drink. The basis seemingly being that you’ll get something lukewarm which perhaps was briefly waved at (through glass) by a teabag before being drowned in milk. I think it was started by someone advocating the use of a microwave to warm, instead of a kettle to boil, the water needed for tea. Digressed into a discourse on how taps with integrated heating failed to produce sufficiently hot water, and today’s instalment was the impossibility of buying a kettle in a department store because no-one knew what a kettle was. Possibly marketed as a hot-pot.

Jeff Farkas likes this.
  11. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Never ask for tea in a Finnish caff.

Cup of lukewarm water, a teabag they found at the back of the storeroom, some milk.

You soon learn to like coffee.

S

ascu75 and Learning like this.
  12. Derek W

Derek W Well-Known Member

I do enjoy a nice fresh hot coffee first thing

... Followed by copious amounts of more coffee during the day :D

ascu75 likes this.
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is, or was, a store in South Center in Seattle called the real tea company. They certainly know how to make tea properly. Unlike Costa Coffee which has a company policy of not putting the teabag in the pot before adding hot, not boiling, water. I emailed them the guidance of the Tea Council but they didn’t reply.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't need it to start my day, but my routine involves coffee with breakfast, either espresso or pour-over filter, depending on mood. I very rarely have more than one coffee a day (sometimes a decaf in the evening) as I drank far too much when I worked in hospitality and it wasn't doing me any good (if I recall correctly my record was about 1.5 litres in a working day). One hangover from that is I do still get withdrawal headaches after 30 or so hours without caffeine.

Oh, and as for how much caffeine in tea/coffee? That really depends on what you drink and how. Pu'er tea has loads of caffeine for example.

Catriona likes this.
  15. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

I'm not a coffee lover but I do drink it daily only fresh ground strength 5

When we lived in Tavistock there was a stall there that mixed coffee to your choice :)

Trouble is that I was known in the market for my coffee drinking, I used to have a double - double two, perhaps three espressos every day. Then I stopped, shee then you realize how it affects you

Hmm is that "affects" or "effects" ?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

If you want a laugh ask for a filter coffee in Costa. It's on their menu.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Why would I do that? I don’t drink coffee!

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

And they don't serve it, badabum tish.

19. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If I want filter coffee I make it myself . Just thinking about it has given me the urge to make some.

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Currently coffee is just an instant at lunchtime. Mornings need 3 mugs of Twinnings Strong English Breakfast, then there will be two mugs of ordinary tea around teatime.

Catriona likes this.