1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clothes collection companies.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mojo_66, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Get a few leaflets for these through the door. Not actually charities, but companies that collect clothes and then sell them on in developing countries. What's the gereral opinion of them? Never give to them myself, but on the other hand I can understand the argument that this kind of thing creates jobs at both ends.

2. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I don't give to them. Something dodgy about it, IMHO.

Instead I fill up the bags for Scope, Great Ormond Street Children's Charity, Age Concern et al, or take it to the Oxfam shop.

3. mertonia

mertonia Well-Known Member

Hi

Many problems are caused in the Third World by projects such as the one you mentioned. Selling cheap clothing in the Third World has a great impact on the local clothing industries. Clothing dumped in a county such as Uganda is usually sold at a price much lower than the cost of locally produced clothing and often leads to the destruction of local industries which are essential for real development.
    Peter

4. Tacitus

Tacitus Well-Known Member

I go along with Mertonia ... the economic impact is significant; also there is the deculturalisation effect where the whole world is wearing western clothes and losing its traditional dress. I feel it's sad to see poor, but otherwise proud people wearing handed down FCUK T-shirts ....

A recent documentary (BBC) covered the donated clothes issue - many recipients complained that it was very condescending to send them 'our' unwanted undies, etc. "We have some dignity" was a notable comment. That said, the cloth can be reused if there's any vestige of entrepreneurship in the recipient countries - maybe that's what should be encouraged?

Similarly the BBC Blue Peter Shoe Appeal seems to me to be addressing the wrong issue. Exporting second hand/foot Nike trainers and unwanted Brogues to Africa is strange

Alan

5. Keitht

Keitht Well-Known Member

Lowest form of animal life about sums them up for me. There have been claims that they schedule their collections for the same day as legitimate charities have collections in an area. They go round very early and take any additional bags that have been put out without the charity logo on them.

6. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

I don't touch them, Id rather give to my local charity shop or recycle.

Lunetex

7. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Charitable collectors? - Oh, most unlikely I would think. And what's more - taking mental imagery to its extreme - why would a proud Masai warrior - for example - want to pull on a pair of my old Y-fronts?
    No, give your old clothes to the Red Cross shop or the like. If they don't want them they sell them on to the 'shoddy' man.

8. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

A charity attempts to provide things for the needy through contributions from the public. These companies prime objective is to make a profit for themselves through the publics generosity in thinking that they are giving to a worthy cause. I avoid them myself.

9. SteveEM

SteveEM Well-Known Member

Hi,

Almost all these are FAKE..never give anything to them, they usually have fake company reg numbers.

cheers Steve.

10. Mojo_66

Mojo_66 Well-Known Member

Some interesting points, I've never given to them, but I know there's people around here who usually put out a bag or two simply because they believe they're genuine charities.

11. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Blimey, do people really buy so much surplus stuff? :D

12. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

If people are willing to give to the needy, I don't see why a company should make the needy (or their governments) pay for them when the donors thought they were helping a good cause for non-profit.