1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close call

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 12, 2020.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Shouldn’t happen. On shared space the cyclist should stop. Loose dogs are more unpredictable but most owners with retractable leads will bring the dog under control. I’m scared of dogs but haven’t had any real issues. I’ve had to stop 3 times so not to risk hitting a loose dog. Only one owner didn’t apologise - it was one of those tiny things in a jumper, more rat than dog and was at great risk of getting trodden on as she was walking it through a busy shared space.

2. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

So after 5 years you save £25 for a month of research and 15 minutes installing them....if they last that long!

Is there examples of them protecting drivers no claims bonuses?

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Good news. I am not aware of any similar plans in Berks. I wish there were as it may encourage me to get back on a bike.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I got back on a bike just over a year ago, joined the CTC (operating as Cycling UK), found some local clubs and started riding, initially Wednesday evening summer rides, then building up. They tend to split between “fast” and “moderate” groups. I’m firmly in the moderate category. I bought an e-bike so hills aren’t a problem and most folk are really slow on hills anyway. It takes a while to get enough fitness and to harden off the backside but a lot of clubs do run slow, short rides. Being in a small group adds confidence and it is surprising how quiet and traffic-free the lanes are. I’d advise looking up your local CTC. They likely have rides suspended at the moment but the practice here is that most groups have a website and post a rides list for the year ahead which would give you some idea of what they get up to.

Bazarchie likes this.
  5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

It shouldn't happen, but it does. Anyway, when I have encountered these situations I have been on foot.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Cycling on a footpath in England & Wales is trespass. Irrespective of whether the cyclist has a camera on top of their noggin they will, in the eyes of the law, be in the wrong.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

But Stephen who mentioned both wearing a camera on a bike and 30ft dog leads doesn't.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Read the article

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I have. Without consent of the landowner cycling on a footpath is still trespass and even the cycling groups acknowledge that cyclists have a responsibility to not be a nuisance to people legitimately using footpaths.

11. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I don't know where you got the idea that it is trespass, that is largely civil law, with a few exceptions. The highway which are the ordinary roads that you and I travel over every day extends from private property on one side to private property on the other and includes footpaths. A highway is legally defined as a road where person may pass and repass. There is a specific offence Under the Road Traffic Act of riding a cycle on a footpath so it is not trespass. In a number of places, this has been watered down by allowing the sharing of footpaths with pedestrians but cyclist are still bound the ride in a safe manner because there is also the offence of due care and attention which also applies to them,

12. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

FootPATH, not footWAY.

13. John King

That is what I referred to a - footpath I never mentioned a footway. If it is not on a highway as defined then you can call it as you wish. These rules go all the way back to:-Section 72 of the Highway Act 1835!
    Yes nearly 200 years ago but currently the offence of riding on a footpath is usually dealt with when it proves necessary by way of an £80 fixed penalty, however if they refuse the FP and go to court the fine can be as much as £500.

14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

We are talking about different things.

15. John King

Ah, I have gone back several posts and I see what you are referring to, my apologies

16. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

My car is leased from Motability, who won't allow me to put a dash-cam in it, or rather they won't allow one to be hard wired into the car even if it is done professionally. Their reason is that the insurance wouldn't cover it.

If anyone is interested in getting one, Halfords will hard-wire one for a reasonable price, and they sell them for pretty much the same as everyone else.
    I am trying to figure out if I could get one and plug it into a USB power charge pack, or if that would need changing too often. I need one mainly for the rear, to find out who nicks my bloody rear wiper arm, which cost £50-60 to replace. Had it done twice so far, so am now spray-painting with number plate printed on the damn thing (numbers are vinyl, ordered online, which is a damn site easier than trying stencils!)

17. MickLL

MickLL In the Stop Bath

I had a very close call with a cyclist yesterday. Driving along a straight, reasonably wide, road. Two cyclists (young men) on the left. I pull to the right to overtake, giving them a very wide berth. One of them suddenly pulls out in front of me, straight across the road and mounts the pavement on the right hand side of the road. He continues cycling on the pavement as if nothing had happened.

Happily I was paying attention but how I missed him I'll never know.

My wife was speechless for a few moments and then said, "if you had hit him it would have been 100% his fault - but I'll guess that you would have got the blame".

MickLL

18. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Hmmmm

I have reported more incidents of dangerous driving to operation snap than I can remember

So far

One driver 6 points and a £600 fine for dangerous driving, and having a dangerous car and unknown to me failing to stop at a previous accident !
    One lorry the WRONG side of the road and island the business owner find £300 for failing to disclose the drivers name
    One driver fined for overtaking on NO overtaking and almost wiping out a motorbike rider
    Many card on a local bypass overtaking over unbroken white lines
    Two cars for HITTING (slowly) in Aberystwith cyclists on different days

ALL acted on by the Police

19. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Well our new car is and will have two dash and one rear so that is rubbish. NO one needs to hard wire any cameras that is what the cigarette lighter socket is for

Charging, they have a battery, they charge whenever you drive, if you don't unplug there is no problem !

EDITED.............

I have just called Motability, they are stating that "cameras" have to be "factory fitted" at the time of the order, they are right and confused

Of course they will not allow any hard wiring after sales because you get morons doing it themselves so blanket ban, why hard wire anyway

The man I spoke to had no idea what a dashcam was, after a 20 minute conversation (lovely chap) he came back and rightly said NOT to be hard wired but what you plug into your cigarette lighter is up to you, I have this to run two

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cigarette-...inements=p_72:419153031&rnid=419152031&sr=8-9

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  20. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I dispute that strongly. If you have cables running from the cigar lighter socket to various points in the car the cables become a hazard and a distraction. Hard wiring equipment, not just cameras, ensures that all the cables are secure, out of sight and not distracting. I might point out that unsecured cables can, in some circumstances, result in an MOT failure.

In some cars the cigar lighter socket is unswitched so your camera/s are live all the time, unless you remember to unplug them and in others the socket is switched. If you hard wire the cameras you can ensure that they work the way you want them to rather than how the car designer thought they should work.

One other consideration is that some cars have covers over the cigar lighter with limited clearance, they won't close if there is anything taller than the cigar lighter in the socket. This is not a problem when you are driving but a more significant issue when parked with all the other contents of the stowage on display. In any case I have other uses for the sockets in my car. If I were to fit cameras they would be hard wired or nothing.