1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close call

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by John King, Aug 12, 2020.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Nor me

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I don't either.

3. Stephen Rundle

Stephen Rundle In the Stop Bath

Considering the state of the motorists these days why don't people have a dash cam, and tailgating cameras ?

I save a fortune on car insurance with them via discount. £50 a year

4. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I cannot be bothered with one. It would not have happened in this case either.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

dee-dah dee-dah

6. PeteRob

I might fit a front camera if I knew who could do it. The chauffeur firm we used for work had very neat ones wired into the rain-sensor/headlight sensor on the screen behind the mirror so the camera was at the top of the screen and hidden by the mirror. Very tidy. Their concern was fraudulent crashes for insurance scams - being cut up by someone with no brake lights and being, by default, at fault of hitting them from behind.

I'm wondering about getting cameras for my bike because there is usefulness in reporting drivers who, perhaps without realising it, don't give cycles enough room. Trouble is battery life. I was out nearly 8 hours yesterday (it was hot, I was slow) and they just don't seem to work for that long. The market is for action cameras that record short trips, downhill mostly.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

How much do the cameras cost and how long do they last?

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yea right, when did you last see a police car on a dual carriageway? The last police car I saw was outside Wenzels!

9. Stephen Rundle

Been using gopros on our bikes for 12 years FRONT and REAR :) especially good for dog people with 30' leads

10. Stephen Rundle

I spent a MONTH looking, trying and finally bought these two,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N3SP41O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

This one for it's rear camera, it plugs into e front camera here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PV2RX57/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It took me 15 minutes to run UNSEEN the cable from the back to the front under the door surrounds

I have just brought the cable out to show you

IMG_20200812_182440938.jpg IMG_20200812_182446040.jpg IMG_20200812_182453513.jpg IMG_20200812_182457111.jpg IMG_20200812_182502345.jpg IMG_20200812_182508296.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I can’t have a dash cam. It would be akin to me walking to the gallows of my own free will

GeoffR likes this.
  12. Stephen Rundle

Then I hope you never need to prove an accident was not your fault in an insurance claim or need proof that a car hit you in a car park whilst you were away, or if you need to make any insurance claim, or........................................

Both cameras and rear come on even if someone touches the car with a trolley the two front ones are angled to cover from drivers to pax. door and front

13. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Been driving 36 years. I’ve managed so far.

MJB likes this.
  14. PeteRob

They have no battery life. Why does someone with a 30’ lead (a misnomer if ever I heard one) need a camera?

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not the dog walker, the cyclist! So that the image contains both dog walker and dog for when you crash into the 30' of near invisible lead I would imagine

16. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I worry about drivers who go on the roads with the assumption that they will be involved in a collision. I've just taken my dog out on a 10m running line. Any cyclist who collided with it would have incriminate themselves with any camera footage.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  17. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Do you think the police will follow up if there was no accident?

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I suspect Andrew has needed the video in the past. I have seen several dogs being walked on long leads where the owner had no thought for anyone else. Ten metres of dog lead across the path and the only clue is the way the dog owner is holding their arm, some times the dog may be visible.

19. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

...and that's one of the reasons that I have yet to get back on my bike, and get some recommended exercise.

20. PeteRob

Yes. There are plans for a driver awareness program in our area. It could involve exercises with policemen riding alongside club riders on popular stretches with car back-up to stop careless drivers. In North Wales they have started signing routes with advisory on giving cyclists room. The highway code is being revised to stop cars turning left across riders which can happen if the driver misjudges the distance to their turn and overtakes instead of holding back.